Switch Alpha 12 power button light is red

fsimagry
fsimagry Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

When shutting down my Switch Alpha 12, it displayed the "Update and Shutdown" message which I chose. No the unit will not turn off or on. The light on the power button is orange/red. No amount of holding the button in will shut the unit off. Is this a hardware issue or a Win 10 update problem. Any help appreciated.Otherwisr the unit is going back to store i purchased it at under their 90 day no question return policy.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

The power LED shows amber on mine when power is connected and the system is powered off, though it might only be when charging... It goes blue when running. Sounds like yours is stuck in a Windows update. Have you tried just leaving it powered overnight then trying to restart in the morning?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fsimagry

Yes, tried that plus the power reset suggestions from the Acer chat rep. No avail, so it is going back to Acer for repair under warranty (Only have it three weeks).

Thanks for responding.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

If they tell you, let us know what it was. I certainly haven't seen those symptoms other than from you.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • fournier
    fournier Member Posts: 1 New User

Was there any result to this with root cause. I have same issue. I purchased Switch Alpha 12 with i7 August 2016 and cant get it to power on. Tips on power restart do not hel

• mromolino
    mromolino Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Similar issue.  I had to send mine in for repair and it turned out to be a bad mainboard. Bought it near the same time as you, end of july-ish.  Looks like mainboard issue are going to be a thing with these. If you haven't already, start the process to send it in for repair.  They said it would take 7 days from the time they recieve it and it took every minute of it.  Good news is my hard drive was still intact.

• fsimagry

Received unit back from Acer with the explanation that nothing was wrong. Puzzling, but it has worked perfectly since then.

My opinion, that until such time as Acer tech got around to insoect it, the battery went dead and the Windows update cleared. They put it on the charger and it booted normally. Case closed.