VN7-592G Charge device through Thunderbolt Port?

V15_Owner
V15_Owner Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

As the title suggests, is it possible I can charge my Acer VN7-592G through its Thunderbolt port? As far as I know, Thunderbolt 3 allows a maximum power input of 100 watts, whereas the charging adapter for the respective device inputs 135 watts.

Nevertheless, is it still possible to charge the laptop through the Thunderbolt 3 port using a high powered USB power bank? I recently purchased this laptop and discovered a dirty little secret Acer included was that once the battery reaches 41% the CPU throttles itself to 0.78 mHz which makes the system very unstable. (Bear in mind, battery saver was off, and CPU was set to High Performance, and 100% max load).

I realize the charging process will be very slow, but will the device still charge? I need to know this ASAP because if it doesn't, and the CPU throttling issue still occurs, I will sell the notebook on Kijji, and purchase the Dell Inspiron 15 7559 that has a larger battery, same processor, and doesn't undervolt the CPU when you have 41% battery still remaining. Being charged $1,400 for a laptop that throttles its CPU down to the speed of a primitive Pentium 3 when the battery has sufficient charge is a total rip off.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

While this model has a Thunderbolt 3 port, it does not support charging the laptop itself. It will however charge small electronics such as phones or tablets. We recommend using the included AC adapter to charge the laptop. Hope this clarifies.