Is my Acer Aspire 5750's DVD player PAL/NTSC TV system compatible?

lnetz77
lnetz77 Member Posts: 3 New User

I only know my laptop can play blue-ray disc movies, but that's it. I don't wanna buy foreign made DVD's just to find out they won't work because my laptop can't play DVD's made of a different system. If someone could help me with this that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.  :-)

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The DVDs may have Regions that determine what the player may playback but the NTSC/PAL/SECAM depends more on the playback software than the DVD. Also believe the definition is different (NTSC aka Standard Definition aka 480p).

Last time I was concerned about NTSC/PAL/SECAM was with a VHS recorder/player that could handle all three.

ps there may be ways to remove region coding in a DVD player/burner with software but will probably void your warrenty and may not be legal everywhere..

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

No. Probably best to get an inexpensive player to either output directly to a TV or to your PC thru an inexpensive analog AV to HDMI or USB digital upconverter.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• lnetz77

padgett that's some good stuff to know thank you. If it depends on the software more than the DVD, how do I check my laptop's software to see if it'll play it? 

If I have to remove region coding to play my DVD, then I'll just forget about it because I don't wanna deal with no potential legal issues and stuff. I'm from America and I just want to play an educational DVD I'd like to order from NZ on my laptop :-P But the person who's making the DVDs wanted me to check if they were compatible for those kinda TV systems. Don't know how to do it, so that's why I came here.

• lnetz77

JackE good to know, thanks for sharing this with me. Any good leads for the inexpensive players that output directly to my PC like the one you were saying? 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

The Hauppauge 610 composite video-to-USB digital upconverter at $40-50 on Amazon with free shipping  should probably yield the most flexibility in using just about any cheap NTSC/PAL video-only player from Amazon, Walmart or anywhere else. The whole setup shouldn't cost more than about $70. There are players with builtin video digitizers but would cost much more and not be any more compact than using a separate digitizer & video-only player.

Jack E/NJ        

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Just be aware that composite video (single yellow rca plug) can only provide Standard Definition (480p) video. To get HD (high definition) you need either component (three plugs) or HDMI.