Can't tap BIOS or Display Boot Option on my Acer Aspire M3450 desktop

jpmackay
jpmackay Member Posts: 13 New User

For the last few days I have been trying to access into BIOS or Display Boot Options with tapping the keys with " DEL " for BIOS and " F12 " for Display Boot Options. Even pressing down both keys at a time on my keyboard and go through in normal boot with Windows 10 logo screen then type in password. I am sure that you know this desktop is not supported UEFI settings. I did try with Settings\Update and Security \ Advanced Options \ then have 6 names on the double column but I am not sure which one to pick to fix the problem. Here are the 6 names below:

System Restore

System Image Recovery

Startup Repair

Command Prompt

Startup Settings

Go back to the previous build

All I wan tis to fix two things with pressing the ekys for BIOS and Display Boot Options. That's all I need this.Or do I have to reinstall the whole disk of Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64 operating system?   By the way my computer is Acer Aspire M3450 gaming desktop.

Thank you,

John

Best Answer

• jpmackay
    Answer ✓

It's a good thing that I did not pull out the CMOS battery from my desktop. Someone that I know told me said to me " Try to change the keyboard " Guess -- it is working now. The USB keyboard that I just bought doesn't work so I went back to wireless keyboard that I used this all the time. So now my problem solved.

May I ask a question -- Why does the USB keyboard not support to accept that I press the key after restarting for BIOS or Boot Display Options? Hope that someone here in this forum will have answer for this.

Thank you,

John 

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I'd try connecting a different external USB keyboard and try that.

• jpmackay

Thank you for your time to reply and I did change the keyboard to another USB. Received the same results with nothing so far.

John

• padgett

According to my notes tapping DEL during boot should bring up the BIOS. A standard keyboard should have two DEL keys. Have you tried both. Might start tapping as soon as the boot starts even before the logo appears.

Might also try pulling the CMOS battery to reset everything. That might open the BIOS on the next boot to set the clock.

• jpmackay

OK have a question before I go further to take the CMOS battery out. What will happen with the BIOS settings in my desktop? All gone and how do I restore this BIOS settings on my Acer Aspire M3450 desktop? I just want to make sure what will happen with my desktop if I took the battery out then stuck with this not working or not booting up anymore. Any advice about this.

John

• padgett

OK, when you pull the CMOS battery all that is lost are the BIOS settings. When it gets power again the factory default settings will be restored. Are some things that will reset Acer would rather not be mentioned but the only thing that is likely to be missing is the date and time.

Everthing related to Windows will still be there because those are not stored in the CMOS RTC chip.

• jpmackay
    Answer ✓

It's a good thing that I did not pull out the CMOS battery from my desktop. Someone that I know told me said to me " Try to change the keyboard " Guess -- it is working now. The USB keyboard that I just bought doesn't work so I went back to wireless keyboard that I used this all the time. So now my problem solved.

May I ask a question -- Why does the USB keyboard not support to accept that I press the key after restarting for BIOS or Boot Display Options? Hope that someone here in this forum will have answer for this.

Thank you,

John 

• WJB-2
    WJB-2 Member Posts: 81 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

John ... If I'm understanding correctly despite solving your problem you are not getting the BIOS setup and BOOT display when you push "DEL" during startup or restart.  As I noticed in an earlier response you need to start pushing the necessary key -- in my own case usually "F2" -- BEFORE you see the ACER logo.  When a Windows 10 update turned my E1 into a "brick," I was going crazy for days trying to get into the BOOT display. Finally I started tapping the necessary key rather furiously as soon as I heard the restart beginning, and well before the logo and spinning circle appeared. Worked perfectly.

In the late 1990's it seemed getting into "Safe Mode" or other displays was fairly straightforward, but now it seems you must start tapping immediately.