files lost HELP needed re upgrade to win 10 and updates wiped itunes backups in 2 profiles

Options
fryreyesonly
fryreyesonly Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

help needed to find files on the acer 8172 travelmate

upgraded to win 10

offered to join win insider builds preview ---A BIG MISTAKE I DID NOT KNOW BUILDS WOULD WIPE FILES APPS

i dont know where to or how to dig up the old info or files ..that i hope someone can let me know of an option to some how find old files and win.old does not have the itunes files

the files went missing in june 2016

any help is very appreciated everyone

Jen

Its kind of urgent and windows ...microsoft have offered no help via phone and chat wasted my time until 0200 am to have me do searches for hidden files

windows microsoft says to run the updater - afraid it might wipe even more out

the build of windows insider ...turned off the auto backup points...so I cant go back to early restore points ...I had no idea until I was trying to find itunes ....a lot of stuff missing

Never again to risky to do the insider builds or previews of windows ...there is only a hub available to people that take part.

Jen

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• philetus
    Options

How long has it been since you upgraded to Win 10?

If you keep it for 30 days it deletes the old windows.

Have you tried

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37931/~/windows-10%3A-go-back-to-windows-7-or-windows-8.1-after-upgrade

If you bought it new, did you create the Acer USB Recovery drive when it was constantly nagging you to do it?

You can buy one here https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Put in your serial number and you will see if they have it and how much it is.

If you know someone with the same model, you can make one on it.

• fryreyesonly

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi thanks for your reply
    Its been since approx January 2016 re upgrade
    The iTunes disappeared in june 2016
    The microsoft people had to help get the start button and other things working on the
    Travelmate ....when updating to win 10
    Perhaps I have to get them in the phone to help re the start button cortana wifi not working in 1 profile and a 3 profile was created but same thing happening and iTunes is not there
    I realize I shock gave created a backup - I thought it was backing up automatically but wasn't
    Restore points wiped out by win 10 updates from microsoft
    iTunes app was wiped out with the backups in 2 different acer profiles.
    Would anyone know how to retrieve anything that was on the travel mate - hidden files checked to see and nothing in win.old when I search for apple items iTunes etc
    I had reset it before Jan 2016 - and updated from win 7 to win 10
    I didn't think we would be using if for iTunes backups or much of anything but the other device we had ...needed updates more space etc ...so I tried using the travelmate it was fine ...the win 10 updates did something to it ....it security scans virus scans were showing adware but it was quickly cleaned off of it

I hope someone knows how to get at old file apps that were wiped by win 10 pro updates ...I have heard of people giving away a device and new owner finding all the original old info files etc on the device that the original owner had thought was cleaned - or every thing was though to be erased from it but wasn't - in this case I wish I could access all info that was on this travelmate ...
    Its the iTunes back ups with my 87 yr old moms info on it ...dads history medical info etc is really important with dad passing. These and other things were saved into iTunes backups in many formats & pictures voice recordings etc that were in 2 different profiles of windows 10 - so there were 2 separate iTunes backups.

Any info or links on how to retrieve all info that was ever put in it would be really helpful I'm going to try microsoft but its hard to get through to someone that can understand the many details of what has happened, they don't call back when they agree to call you back to help.
    That's why I thought I better start asking about this here.

Jen.

• philetus
    Options

If you want to recover the data that was on the HDD, you need to stop using it and pull out the HDD. Find a honest, reliable, and knowledgable data recovery business and contact them. It will cost you three or four hundred probably.
    I don't knowthough. I do my own if I need to.

• fryreyesonly

Tinkerer

Options

Hi there ...thank you for your reply !

Its been a long night here.

I have heard of what you suggested ...but the cost...is a concern.

I hope microsoft tech support might still help, they promised a call back ...and promised that the files apps etc can still be found even if no restore points etc.

I told them I did all the suggested things that microsoft tweeted me on twitter.

They must know a deeper method.

Here's hope : )

I dont think its a good idea for anyone with an older device this is the travelmate 8172 ... to join any insider preview build -groups.  

This was running perfectly until June 2016 ....after an update of win 10 pro or the build.

I just wish the the apps of itunes with the itunes backups from the iphone of important info pictures of documents medial information and voice recordings etc my mother & fathers things .. were not touched by windows 10 pro updates or builds.

The backups on icloud are there but they are the wrong backups ...the backups on the acer travelmate ...contained different info.

The Apple senior techs said Itunes shouldnt have been touchable or touched by anything Microsoft or Windows, they were surprised Apple itunes was affected and not here...we had been working on some iphone backup restoring processes.

The info to be restored onto the iphone is missing from when it was saved into the itunes backup that has been wiped out by windows 10 pro updates or builds in mid June 2016.

Thats all for now....thanks for your help ..that was a really nice surprise!

Have a great good morning : )

Jen

if you come across any other fixes or ideas for this challenge let me know : )