How do I boot from recovery disc acer veriton 2620g. BIOS is set to boot from removable media

Mach
Mach Member Posts: 14 New User

OK.. so I have a 2620g and I bought the recovery discs from Acer.  The BIOS is set to boot from removable media.  When I try to boot from the recovery disc it goes directly to the nomal log in screen.  How can I get it to boot from the recovery disc?

By the way, I have 2 different sets of recovery discs, 1 & 2 and 1 through 3, if that makes any difference...

Thanks!!

Mach

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you need to set your DVD/CD as first boot device, not removable media.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Mach
    OK .. so, I did that originally and just did it again. Same result. As I mentioned previously, I have two sets of recovery discs. One is a set of two and one is a set of three. Does it make any difference which I use?
  • IronFly
    Honestly i don't know, by the way try to boot from each of disc 1.
  • Mach

Thanks so much for replying. I'm using a USB CD/DVD as this version has no built in optical drive.  I've tried  ortho recovery discs and all of the USB ports to   no  avaial.  

• IronFly

ok, this is a very important thing...

by the way, with your DVD/CD USB reader connected, booting to BIOS, are you able to see the device listed on BIOS?

how is listed under Boot options-removable device priority?

• Mach

In the BIOS setup utility it isliasted as 1st boot device under boot priority order.  It's labeled SLIMTYPEDVD A DS8A1 CA14.   After I exit the BIOS and press f12 to select boot device it's listed the same way and selected.

Thanks for your help.  It's really appreciated.

• IronFly

honestly if you already tried both disc 1 and selected the correct bootable device (as you did), i don't have other suggestions.

• Mach

Well, thanks so much for trying to assist..  Guess I'll see if I can get in touch w/someone at Acer about this situation.  I've done tons of system recoveries and never ran into anything like this....

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Mach,

Can you post the solution when you find out?

I assume you have a dual load Windows 7 and Windows 8 computer like the one in link below....and that would explain why you have two sets of discs (just a guess).

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-DT-VFGAA-003-VN2620G-UC8872X-Desktop/dp/B009ZNCYKM

I've never used a computer that came with dual load.  Obviously Windows 7 won't work if you have secure boot enabled.  But I've never fully understood how it works because Windows 7 won't work with secure boot, but Microsoft requires secure boot for Windows 8 on new computers.

Anyway, please let us know what Acer says.

• Mach

Jordan, yeah, this machine is exacty the one referenced.  A friend of mne gave he six of these things and I hate to see them just sit there.

Using the little bit of guidance that Acer provded with the discs  and given what you've mentioned I disabled secure boot.  That allowed the proces to ocntinued to the eRepair screen.  Selecting ANY of the options presents me with a notification that I must boot using legacy mode not UEFI.  Looking at the BIOS setup that mode isn't available.  When I select the boot priority and select the drive that is the target (UEFI DVD) I have no other options.  

So, I'm up agains the proverbal rock and a hard place. 

I've attempted to chat w/Acer's third party support but the fail to respond.  I'm going to keep digging until I come acrsoo an answer and I'll certainly post it here.

From what I've heard this is a fine little machine and I can take as many as I would like but if something inherent in the BIOS prevents them from being usable I'll recommend he just recycle them.

Thanks for posting!

• IronFly
    Be aware that HDD must be not partitioned, you need to completly wipe it and not format.
  • JordanB

I think if you follow Ironfly's advice and wipe your hard drive with something like "diskpart clean" (Acer's recovery discs don't like hard drives with partitions already on them)..........

And.....to get in to legacy mode, you must not only disable secure boot, but also set "launch CSM to always".  You'll have to find that Launch CSM somewhere in the BIOS......I can't remember where it's at exactly.  You'll find it.

Edit:  On most Acer desktops w/ UEFI, to get legacy mode, you disable secure boot, and then set "Launch CSM to always", but on some laptops you do it a different way.....like in video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyabVjIZik0

• JordanB

If you get tired of messing with it, you could always just install vanilla Windows 8.1 and skip the Acer recovery discs.  
    To be honest, that's probably what I'd do as I'm not a big fan of legacy mode, and I happen to like windows 8.1.  And then get your drivers from Acer download website.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Windows 8.1 is in link below.  The Windows 8.1 installer should automatcally retrieve your Windows 8 product key that is electronically stored in the UEFI/mainboard.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Of course, I don't really know if my suggestion will work since I don't have your computer model.

I would try to install Windows 8.1 in default UEFI.  [load UEFI defaults (F9) and then save/ exit (F10)].  If I had to, I guess I would install Windows 8.1 in legacy mode as a last resort.....hopefully you won't have to do that. Legacy mode is prone to MBR infections (bad viruses).

Edit: The link below has some tips and tricks on how to clean install Windows 8.1.

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

• JordanB

Here's a screenshot of your Veriton 2620G UEFI and it shows how to "Launch CSM always" if you're still trying to get in to legacy mode.

csmalways.PNG

• Mach

Further and further down the rabbit hle we go... I walked away from this project yesterday to spend time with my wife working in the back yard.  This am III got the email really your response and set up the BOIS per your instructions.  Rebooted the machine and am presented with "Reword fail: This recovery system can only be used on UEFI mode.  Press any key to restart immediately."

TADAAAAA!

• JordanB

You got it to work?

I suspect if you want to use windows 7 recovery discs, then you must put uefi in legacy mode.

If you want windows 8, then load the defaults F9 and save/exit F10.

We were probably over thinking this one..  

You have to choose which OS you want and not try to do both sets of discs (I think).  

Edit: I've never actually used Acer recovery discs....much less a dual load PC so I shouldn't really say.  

• JordanB

If you find yourself in a mess, the link below has all of the tips and tricks you need to help you start completely over from scratch........

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-V3-772-Windows-8-1-clean-install/td-p/449512

• Mach

No, I wish I did... I was  being a bit facetious...  after all the tap dancing getting the BIOS into legacy mode and actually getting into the recovery screen I got the notification that the system had to be in UEFI mode in order to proceed... 

I'm doing as you suggested.... installing 8.1.  It's downloading to a jump drive right now...

• JordanB

Ok sounds good.

The drivers are at Acer website below....

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers