Aspire T3-710 How Do I Add Second Hard Drive?

Dave3
Dave3 Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I only see two SATA outlets on the mainboard and one is for the DVD and the other for the Hard Drive.

How do I add a second internal hard drive? Do I have to buy a PCI card with a SATA outlet?

Best Answer

• Dave3
    Answer ✓

One final comment. The mother board did not include a screw to screw down the M.2 solid state memory. I would have appreciated such a screw.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

t3m.2type.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Dave3

My question is how do I install a second internal hard drive. Not how to install and SSD.

• Dave3

I already know how to add an external drive. In fact I have put the internal drive into the box suggested and it is a USB 3 connection which I guess is just a little slower than a SATA connection. I want to know how to install an internal drive.

• Dave3

This was not a solution to my question at all. I don't know how the success mark got checked.

• Dave3

It appears the answer is that even though there is a slot for a second internal hard drive and there is a power connection for a second internal hard drive there is no available SATA connection on the mother board for a second internal hard drive!!! There are only two SATA connections. One for the DVD drive and one for the hard drive.

This makes no sense.

• Dave3

The SSD information you provided is helpful and I may choose to add a solid state drive if I cannot add an internal hard drive.

• JordanB

I guess you could get an external DVD (ODD) and steal the existing DVD's sata port.

http://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420

You could just get a NAS...  Smiley Wink

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BNPT1EG/ref=s9_top_hd_bw_buNOX_g147_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-4&pf_rd_r=R2JPRHWMEC3T4SPN87WP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=471c8cac-e586-5e3d-afea-e22a4be2c62a&pf_rd_i=13436301

Or use the cloud....

https://photos.google.com/apps

https://www.google.com/drive/download/

I think they actually consider SATA legacy now.  M.2 is replacing it.

If you need help with an alternative solution like using PCIe to SATA or M.2 to SATA, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be able to help you.  Maybe someone else can give you some guidance.  It's just not something I would ever do in a million years. Smiley Happy

• Dave3

Thank you for the run down on the alternatives.

• JordanB

You're welcome.

Just wanted to point out that in your original post you made reference to PCI.  PCI is legacy and I don't think Acer or most other OEM's have put PCI slots on their mainboards since circa 2013.

They use PCIe now.  PCIe replaced PCI as the new standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

So if you do go down that road, just to make sure you're aware that your mainboard has PCIe......not legacy PCI.

t3710mb.PNG

• Dave3

I do very much appreciate all the very useful information you provided to me.

The answer to my question is that even though there is a slot and power supply for a second hard drive the system is not configured for the installation of a second hard drive.

The information about the M.2 slot was invaluable to me. I did buy a 500 GB card for less than $200 and put it in there. I put the second hard drive into a box with a USB3 connector which I have plugged into the box.

I have all the additional storage that I need. I am very pleased with the solid state memory.

I do consider my question to be answered.

I very much appreciate all the additional information.

• Dave3
    Answer ✓

One final comment. The mother board did not include a screw to screw down the M.2 solid state memory. I would have appreciated such a screw.

• Dewayne759
    Dewayne759 Member Posts: 4 New User

I purchased a pci-e x1 card on Amazon for $16.00 and added 2 SATA 3.0 ports which work extremely well

• gte717v
    gte717v Member Posts: 1 New User

I have confirmed this to be true. There is a good video on youtube on how to do EXACTLY what you are looking to do with this exact same make and model of computer. It's a video over 30 minutes long.

• sacchin
    sacchin Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

I purchased my Acer Aspire T3-710 in December 2015.

It had a 3TB HDD and I wanted to add an additional SSD for programs and the OS.

I purchased an SSD and when I got home, I realised it only has 2 SATA ports on the motherboard, they are both used up.

1 is for the existing HDD and the other was the CD drive.

There is a PCIE x1 slot available on the motherboard. I purchased a PCIE x1 which has 2 internal SATA ports from a UK store. It is the same as this one CLICK HERE

Picked it up for £25.

I connected my SSD to the motherboard port and connected the CD drive to the new SATA port.

Today I have just installed a second SSD on my PCIE card and it is showing perfectly on the PC.

See below. C drive is my first SSD and D drive is my 3TB HDD (both connected to the motherboard SATA slots)

F drive and the J drive are the 2 SATA ports on the PCIE card.

My second SSD is on the PCIE card.

SSD.png