Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My Acer Aspire R14 will not boot with the charger cord plugged in with the battery connected at

My Acer Aspire R14 laptop went completely blank a few weeks ago. When I unpluged the power cord, it started right up, but the moment I plugged the power cord back in it would shut down. The battery soon died this way, because it would not charge. I removed the battery then the it started up with the power cord. I thought it must be the battery, so I installed a new battery. that did nothing to change the problem.

So, I ordered a new motherboard and after a few weeks, I recieved it today, installed it, and I still have the same thing. It works well with the power cord plugged in as long as the battery is disconnected. But the moment I connect the battery, everything shuts down, not to be revived unless I disconnect the battery. 

I need help!! What could be the problem?

Best Answer

FAQ & Answers

• philetusphiletus Posts: 4,428ACE Pathfinder

This is a R5-431T?

You have a new battery and motherboard. The only two things left would be something wrong with the power supply or the I/O board. Start with the power supply. Visit a local comp. shop and try a good power supply.

• melannakmelannak Posts: 2Member

No, mine is an Aspire R3-471. 

But I did get the problem solved. I continued the process of ilimination and found that my power cord was only putting out 18v. So, I used one that my son had that put out 19v and it immediately started working. 

But thanks for your reply. You were right on. It ws the power supply. I hope this can help someone in the future so they don't need to go to all the expense of a new battery and new motherboard before they find the problem.

• philetusphiletus Posts: 4,428ACE Pathfinder
    Accepted Answer

Glad I could help.