Acer aspire

capitainelaure
capitainelaure Member Posts: 5 New User
I bought 2 acer aspire es1 311 last week, one for me and one for my huasbsnd so the we could take abroaf and work on the. I was just loading a few files on my acer last night. As I shut it down it started auto updating. This took hours in the middly of last night and by 4am it was 77 out of 100 updates. By that stage I had to shut it down completely as I had to get on aeroplane. Now whdn I try rebooting I get not very far - says no rebootable devise when it to self diagnose and repair it. I have no idea what to do now. No starteup dics came with the laptop Also the fan is making loud whirring noise. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Katherine

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

If it works, the easiest way for you to fix it is hold Alt+F10 at boot and do a factory recovery.

• capitainelaure
    Thanks philetus. I tried this just now. Waited a long time then gave me some options so I chose reset pc. Then waited some more now it says"unable to reset your pc. A required drive partition is miss". Not sure what to do now. I think I have come to a dead end?
  • philetus

Are your two es1 311 running Windows 10?

• capitainelaure
    No they're running windows 8.1 which I now see has problems when it does these big slow automatic updates. Unfortunately I didn't make a recovery disc. Acer confirms that it is in warranty but will only sell me recovery disc for £50 which I resent doing as I had the laptop for less than a week and this appears to be a known problem. I have two ideas now 1. Make a recovery disc using the second acer and use it on first laptop. Will this actually work? 2. From the command prompt which I can get somehow unlock the hidden partition risky mainly because I last used a dos prompt about 20 years ago...
  • philetus

Yes. That wass why I asked if you were running Windows. The recovery drive from the good one will work on your's.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26286/~/create-a-acer-factory-default-backup-in-windows-8.1

You will need to be able to access the F12 boot menu. Start the"broken" laptop and start tapping F12 and see if the boot menu comes up.

• capitainelaure
    Hi philetus apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I had to buy a usb. I did what you suggested, followed the backup instructions in your link and enabled f12. But nothing displayed in the boot menu! I tried another pc reset from the windows recovery environment but that didn't work either. When I go to s command prompt and try and access c: it comes up with an I/o error. Hdd failure? It does show up in the bios though. Maybe I give up now - many thanks for your help.
  • philetus

Did you have the usb plugged in when you did F12?

• capitainelaure
    Ah yes I had another go - I think I had the boot order wrong in the bios. Afyer f12 saw the usb recovery listed so selected it and tried to reset yet again. It got 2% then crashed out. I still can't see the see drive. I can see 931 gb listed in disk list. But I can't do any bootrec fixes. Must be hdd problem? I can see x: