Acer Aspire R572G - KB3140743 Breaks my Intel Gfx - BlackScreenOfDeath

MingYuen78
MingYuen78 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi All,

Is anybody having trouble of Windows 10 lately, This is what happens to me yesterday. About a week ago this patch came in KB3140743 along comes with latest intel drivers update as usual windows 10 "mandatorily" overwrite and provides a new driver over the "existing stable one - the one provided in acer support". Didnt notice anything much, because all these are happening in the background until the BSOD stating Unhandle thread error happened to me and after rebooting- hell broke lose.

Resulting the return of Black Screen after boot screen. This had happened before, during the days of 1511 first started, and we resolve it using Safe Mode and force an older driver to windows.

However, for some reason, after installing KB3140743, everytime i revert back to older drivers it still give me the Black screen on boot. Im pretty certain is the intel display driver because i tried disabling the nvidia card as well. Right now im can boot up using intel display as "microsoft default display driver" - which is lame but at least i get to see use the computer.

I tried uninstalling KB3140743..bad idea, it resulted in the system keep on spinning infinitely. Im running out of ideas to resolve this now andI really dont want to force reset everything. Just hopping i can find any solution here.

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Aspire R572G isn't a good model so, I'm guessing it's a R7-572g.

Maybe another update is tagging with KB3140743. I would uninstall all the updates that were installed with KB3140743 and see if it would boot. Uninstalling an update should return the computer to the way it was before the update was installed. Running.

If you pull off the two rubber bumpers on the bottom, take out all the screws, the cover will come right off. Unplug and remove the battery and remove the HDD. Connect it to another computer with USB and get your files out.

If it's a R7-572G.

Answers

• philetus

What is "it resulted in the system keep on spinning infinitely"?

Do you have anything plugged in?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/48qs4y/fix_update_kb3139907_and_cumulative_update/

• MingYuen78

it means, the system boot up screen (Acer logo) with a spinner spinning endlessly but nothing happens after that ( i cant boot to login screen) . i have to use a usb stick and perform a system restore which is the one prior b4 i remove KB3140743 then, remove the intel drivers to microsoft basic adapter for now.

i have not tried to hide KB3140743 as suggested in the link, maybe i'll try later once my project is done. I need to access and get the files out first.

• philetus
    Answer ✓

Aspire R572G isn't a good model so, I'm guessing it's a R7-572g.

Maybe another update is tagging with KB3140743. I would uninstall all the updates that were installed with KB3140743 and see if it would boot. Uninstalling an update should return the computer to the way it was before the update was installed. Running.

If you pull off the two rubber bumpers on the bottom, take out all the screws, the cover will come right off. Unplug and remove the battery and remove the HDD. Connect it to another computer with USB and get your files out.

If it's a R7-572G.

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
  • MingYuen78

Sorry about that type, yes my model is Aspire R7 - 572G.

New update, I can confirmed the problem lies in update KB3140743. 

Just yesterday, MS rolled out an Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140741)

This patch fixed the Black screen of death with the installation of intel drivers for now (havent tested it fully though but system functionally fully now).

@PenguinJim - your video is inspires my upgrade Smiley Happy