Aspire F5-571 - Intel 5500 HD Graphics display driver has stopped responding and has recovered

gneil15
gneil15 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi all,

Bought a new Aspire F5-571 two months ago with Windows 10 preinstalled.

Recently, I've started getting the error message in the subject line of this post.

Doing some research reveals that it could be a problem with the display drivers.

I've checked Acer's website for my model and the only graphics drivers available are Intel's VGA drivers.

Intel's web site reveals that the drivers for Intel HD Graphics 5500 are OEM drivers and are shipped by the manufacturer - obviously in this case Acer.

Anyone any idea if there are updated drivers anywhere on Acer's website ?

Regards, gneil15

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Intel's VGA drivers on Acer website are the last approved by Acer for your Intel 5500 HD model.

if you want to try Intel's drivers, you need to first uninstall from device manager your display adapter, ticking to uninstall software too, then install Intel's drivers.

By the way windows 10 will try to revert back to Acer's drivers, so you need to block drivers updates by windows and sometimes you need to delete Intel folder on C:\.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gneil15

Hi IronFly,

Thanks for replying.

I believe I've managed to find the correct driver on Intel's web site.

Before I try it, how exactly do I go about blocking  Windows 10 reverting back to Acer's drivers ?

Regards, gneil15

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

remember also to check C:\Intel folder and delete VGA drivers inside if listed.

• gneil15

Hi IronFly,

Again, many thanks for the info.

I've downloaded the drivers from Intel's web site.

For the moment, I'm going to leave things as they are. The warning message doesn't pop up very often and I don't use the PC for playing games (so it doesn't take the game with it when it happens). It doesn't seem to be affecting anything else, other than popping up with the warning message.

If it gets worse in the future, then I'll install Intel's drivers.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Regards, gneil15

• IronFly

You welcome.