TC-705-EB53 expansion slot question

tkavan
tkavan Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

There's a small expansion slot labelled PCIE1x1 next to the longer slot in which I've installed a graphics card.  What can the smaller one be used for?  Can it for example hold an SSD?  

Thanks,

Tom

Best Answer

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Answer ✓

OK, Yes that is the one that I was Refering to... 

There was some boards that could connect to that slot I don't see any ATM but they were non Controller systems Plug in and some would be found. Some wouldn't So I think they have done away with them... One with a Controller like the one in my picture here.... Can be used for SDD and also an extra HDD off it as well. They have others that are just SSD and some that have 2 spaces for SSD on the card but may not work for your space as they are longer cards. There are also some that offer SSD, SATA and exta ESata out the back... It is all up to what you want and how much you like to spend. 

mSATA-3-1.JPG

Answers

• RevoMaxx

There are some SSD that can use the PCIeX1 slot, some are also set as controller cards for like 2 SSD and then there are Fiber cards for networking and also used for extra USB ports. Some put in USB 3 in them... 

Important thing is if your trying to put a SSD non controller unit in, It would need to be under your port speed or it wouldn't work. Like PCIe1x1

Now if your talking about the MINI slot in your PC. That is used for a WIFI card. It is a Slot turned to the side with a place in front of it for a screw. That is how it is attached and held in place to make a good contact. 

James

EDIT: Here is a Picture of what it would look like with a Video Card and a Wifi Bluetooth card installed. The normal PCIex1 still open..

Screenshot (39).png

• tkavan

James..

Thanks again for the explanation.  Though I'm not sure what an "SSD non controller unit" is, or what my "port speed" is.

The slot I'm referring to is the one encirled in red.  Can I get an SSD that just plugs into it, with no other connections necessary?  Or would I need some sort of bracket to hold it and/or keep it more firmly in place.  Also would the computer just recognize the drive, or would I have to do something in BIOS?

PCIe1x1.jpg

• RevoMaxx
    Answer ✓

OK, Yes that is the one that I was Refering to... 

There was some boards that could connect to that slot I don't see any ATM but they were non Controller systems Plug in and some would be found. Some wouldn't So I think they have done away with them... One with a Controller like the one in my picture here.... Can be used for SDD and also an extra HDD off it as well. They have others that are just SSD and some that have 2 spaces for SSD on the card but may not work for your space as they are longer cards. There are also some that offer SSD, SATA and exta ESata out the back... It is all up to what you want and how much you like to spend. 

mSATA-3-1.JPG

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

Tom,

Trying to find a solution using the available PCIe x1 slot looks like fun.  But I didn't go that route because I wanted to make sure that I had maximum performance from my SSD.

So here's what I did......I took the boring route.

I installed my regular 2.5 inch SSD inside the computer making sure I connected it to one of the white SATA 3 ports.

I put one of my extra HDDs in to an external enclosure.  They make 2.5 inch enclosures and 3.5 inch enclosures.  Some are USB 2.0 and some are USB 3.0.  Some probably work well with Windows 10 and some probably don't (from a sleep standpoint and from a spin down standpoint).

Here's some external HDD enclosures.  You'll have to do some research if you decide to go that route.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HD+enclosure

http://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tkavan

Thanks for all that info, James.  It's a big help.

Tom

• tkavan

Thanks for those links JordanB.  I'm considering my options!

Tom

• JordanB

OK.  Make sure you do your homework first.  And read posts like the one in link below.

And remember, your motherboard is PCI express 2.0.  So you won't be getting the max speed (which of course completely defeats the purpose of buying a SSD).  It will be disappointing to buy a fast SSD that is only capable of SATA 2 speeds when you connect it to the PCIe x1 slot. (Max is 500, but most people report closer to SATA2 speeds)  And I'm not even sure your BIOS will allow you to boot the OS from the PCIe x1 slot.

http://superuser.com/questions/946346/are-there-ssds-compatible-with-pcie-x1

But I would say 80 percent of the people on this forum don't listen to my advice, so it won't hurt my feelings at all if you go the PCIe x1 route and end up with a slow SSD connection and lack the ability to even boot the OS. Smiley Wink

• tkavan

Another good link, JordanB, thanks.  It is a learning experience!

• tkavan

JordanB...

Thanks for the motherboard info.  Acer support says I CAN boot from an SSD connected to the PCIE1x1 slot.  But the slot is, as you suggest, limited to SATA2.  So any (minimal) speed gain hardly seems worth the cost.  Oh well!

• JordanB

Tom,

A SSD drive running at SATA 2 speeds is still going to be a lot faster than your HDDs. And you'll notice the performance improvement.  It won't be as dramatic as connecting to white SATA 3 port. 

I just wanted you to have the knowledge that (in my opinion) 98 percent of geeks would probably choose to have their SSD connected to a SATA3 port on the motherboard instead of SATA 2 pcie x1 slot....especially when using SSD as boot drive and then put their HDD in a enclosure.....if given a choice.

• tkavan

JordanB...

Thanks for the additonal info, especially about the speed.

I'm going to put this on hold for a while, but appreciate your taking the time to help educate me. :-)

Tom

• tkavan

Hi JordanB...

I'm joining the 20% -- Smiley Happy -- and am ready to install an SSD as a boot drive... with some help!

My C: drive contains the OS and various program files I've installed (a little over 90 GB).  No data, except for what's in Users.  My data is on a separate hard drive.

I have a 240 GB Sandisk SSD and am ready to install it in the empty 2.5" bay on the computer.  Once I've done that, how do I get everything from C: onto the new drive?  And then, how do I make the SSD the boot drive?

After I've done that, can I leave the C: drive in place and put my data on it?  And since C: will still have the OS and programs on it, can I leave them there as a backup?  Would I just be able to go into the BIOS or whatever and tell it to make C: the boot drive again?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tom

• JordanB

Tom,

When I install a new SSD....

1. I power down and unplug the computer and disconnect the SATA power cable on the other drive(s) so that I only have the new SSD connected.

2. I clean install either Windows or Windows or use Acer recovery media.

3.  And then I'll either use the drivers that Windows automatically gives me or I'll download/install drivers from Acer's website depending on which driver I think is best.

4. After that, I power down and unplug the computer and reconnect the SATA power cables.

5.  I reinstall all my programs manually....so I basically start over from scratch.

I'm not a huge fan of cloning, but lots of people do it.

You can start a new topic and you might get some more methods and advice....but the above steps are what I do and don't ever have any problems.  The people that I see having problems occasionally are the one's that clone or try to restore a system image.

Edit:  To clean install Windows, you can check this forum as I've written step-by-step a whole bunch of times.  Basically, you choose "custom install" and then click "next" (piece of cake Smiley Wink )

• tkavan

Thanks, JordanB.  I had to start from scratch a few months ago when I got this computer, so am not sure I want to go through all the pain of reinstalling and then reconfiguring programs again.  But I'll see.  I may look at other options first.

Thanks again.

Tom