Why can't I upgrade my Aspire 7600U to windows 10?

FEL1
FEL1 Member Posts: 7 New User

My Aspire 7600U has OS 8.1 but it failed in the second boot phase when I tried to upgrade to windows 10.  Anyone else have this problem? 

Best Answer

• sepecarola
    sepecarola Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

Same here on my ACER Aspire 7600U. After trying several times and failing I ended up contacted Acer support. Aftera few minutes of consulting with their techincal team, the person helping me out told me: " I checked the information of the system and see that this model systems are not eligible for Windows 10 upgrade."

After pressing her for my available options she told me: "Please contact Microsoft, they will provide a Media creation tool to help these systems to install Windows 10 upgrades."

I did the installation with the Media creation tool and got "0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation."

Answers

• sepecarola
    Answer ✓

Same here on my ACER Aspire 7600U. After trying several times and failing I ended up contacted Acer support. Aftera few minutes of consulting with their techincal team, the person helping me out told me: " I checked the information of the system and see that this model systems are not eligible for Windows 10 upgrade."

After pressing her for my available options she told me: "Please contact Microsoft, they will provide a Media creation tool to help these systems to install Windows 10 upgrades."

I did the installation with the Media creation tool and got "0xC1900101 - 0x40017 The installation in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation."

• FEL1

thanks for the response. I took my computer to the geek squard and they could not install window 10 either.  Looks like the problem with ACER because the did not update the drivers for all components.  I guess we have to wait until the folks at ACER get busy and udate the drivers.

FEL

• FEL1

I think the problem is with the touch screen.  we need new drivers from either ACER or the hardware manufactory.

FEL

• edmundmeyer
    edmundmeyer Member Posts: 4 New User

Are you saying you where able to install windows 10 on the 7600U using the tool provided by microsoft that you mention.

How is your computer functioning if the instalation was successful?

I appreciate your reply.

Thanks in advance

• edmundmeyer

I called Acer consumer relations and they got hold of a 7600U in their lab and was not able to get windows 10 loaded. They told me the only way they can see this working now is to PAY for a code from microsoft to download all the necessary drivers to get windows 10.

The outcome was the unit needs certain drivers to work and they have no way to upgrade this very... very... expensive computer. Quite a sad situation for spending so much money. With an MSRP price of $1,600 or more they should find a way to do this. It is not a very old model. I have an older and much cheaper HP computer that upgraded with no problem.

Acer please help us who paid dearly for our 7600 units.

• sepecarola

After repetitively getting the "0xC1900101 - 0x40017 the installation in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation" I decided to contact Microsoft directly. Microsoft support technician attempted to perform the Windows 10 upgrade several ways including using the installation with the Media creation tool but we ended with the same error so they elevated me to Microsoft level 2 support.

A couple of days later I received the scheduled call from Microsoft Level 2 support. We removed the MacAfee antivirus software that came with the computer (I could not completely uninstalled before) and attempted the media creation tool installation via desktop and all usb devices disconnected from the machine. After going through the entire installation we got the same error and it reverted the installation back to 8.1.

Microsoft Level2 suggested to revert installation back to 8.0 then upgrade to 8.1 and finally upgrade to Windows 10. However before doing this they recommended to first contact ACER and confirm that all computer components are also compatible with Windows 10. I called ACER with Microsoft on the other line and bottom line, according to ACER, my Aspire 7600U needs a clean installation of Windows 10 not an upgraded to Windows 10. In ACER words, I “have to wipe out completely and install Windows 10”.

Microsoft was in disbelief as to ACER'S recommendation as they do not offer the clean installation of Windows 10 at this time.

We are out of luck!

• FEL1

I do believe you are correct.  I think it is a driver problem and I do not think Acer will support it.  This computer has a touch sensitive screen plus a hand gusture control.  I would be surprised that the brain pool at microsoft will know how to upgrade it.  One may be able to buy win 10 and do a clean install but I bet that won't work either.  We need the newest drivers to make this work, maybe microsoft will supply them later.  I will wait a couple of months to see if microsoft will wake up.  We will not get any support from Acer.  Don't think they arte smart enough.

FEL1

• samadams10
    samadams10 Member Posts: 2 New User

You could complete the upgrade to Win 10 if you find a way to skip the nvidia video driver.

Thanks to phoenix4208 on reddit.  You can find it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gdvyw/acer_aspire_7600u_somewhat_successful_installation/

However, it is not an ideal solution.  Acer and nVidia need to fix this.

If everyone can chime in and provide feedback and experience, it would be useful for others too!

• samadams10
    samadams10 Member Posts: 2 New User

Update to my optimistic comment above, which as it turned out, was, well, incorrectly optimistic:

I have decided to revert back to Win 8.1.  Even though I thought I was successful with the upgrade, the Win 10 installation remains UNSTABLE and crashes randomly (with video_memory.... errors as usual).

Win 8.1 on this thing runs fine, but Win 10 is just not usable.  Acer and nVidia really need to work it out.  Jeez...

• Sid246
    Sid246 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi,

Have the same issue with my 7600U. I have tried to install Win 10 myself, same results.

The Get Windows 10 app. what they put out (and Acer recommend for checking compatible) gives everthing the Tick. Plus states Your ready to Go!

I had noticed that Acer have HARDLY EVER issued any driver updates for this model (3 I think in 2013).

I do not know about you users, but my Nvidia graphics has always informed me of new updates as they come up. Which I have not installed because Acer has not offered them on it's website. So I assumed they may not work????

I have found that the Driver updates for Nvidia are way ahead of what Acer have listed, Same also for the Intel onboard graphics, also have updates available.

1/ How many other updates are available from the original sources????

Why Does Acer not update it's drivers list as they come out????

Do they not work???? OR is it that they can not be bothered when a PC is passed 18 months old????

2/ Does anyone know the answers?

Maybe it also needs a BIOS update. I did mine (BIOS) when I upgraded to Win 8.1.

3/ How do we find what motherboard is fitted to this PC? for BIOS update. (could be the issue?)

What Acer should be able to say, is what is incompatible and why Or if It maybe compatible, but we are not supporting the upgrade. Like you need to source all the latest drivers yourself as we have not kept up with them.

Conflicting information Windows App says Compatible, Acer says not????

I have spoken to microsoft a couple of times. Past OS upgrades, downloadable compatability checkers used to tell if drivers needed updates etc. I asked why does it say alls good (Good To Go), you would think it would pick up outdated drivers? MS had no answers.

Cheers!

Sid.

I think a lot of the time the tech services do not know the answers. But you would think that they would find out to help customers. I think they do not care too much, after sales is Poo!

They were not much help with queries, when it was new out of the box. No manuals included now (or online). Not even a couple of sheets in the box to tell what the box contents was. Obviously I am not talking of the obvious. There were some items unclear, what was, or how to operate. Should not have to start researching. Nuff said on that one, times up.

• FEL1

SID 246--I AGREE.  Acer has let the community down badly.  I think they did not sell many Aspire 7600U and therefore will not support it.  This company is not in the US so i guess we cannot do anything about it.  I hope Microsoft can get the proper drivers to up date the system, if not then I guess we are stuck with WIN 8.1.

FEL

• paull
    paull Member Posts: 1 New User

this whole thing is crazy.  I was able to install windows 10 in August.

I shut the computer down for a few weeks and had a boot error so I had to reinstall EVERYTHING.  I am stuck with this same error now.   Why did it work the first time  and not now? 

• FEL1

Thanks again.  I have updated all my drivers to the latest versions.  I did this by contacting all the hardware components so I don't think it is a driver issue.  I think it is the computer itself.  Have you ever wondered why Acer never included an operating manual with this computer and no support.  I think this computer probaby does not meet any known specs.  Acer may have put together a computer without knowledge of other device companies.  A license probem and they got caught.

FEL1

• gaheadhunter
    gaheadhunter Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Time to write the president .

Anyone have the email address? 

• Sid246

Hi Paull

What with Microsoft approaching user and downloading the Win 10 app. All the good to go etc etc.

Then all thehours wasted trying to get it to install successfully.

Portrayed as an easy Upgrade.

I cannot understand though why neither MS, the Win 10 app Nor Acer can tell us what is incompatible. Which part of the PC. Just information init! Then we could look ourselves, if we wanted to go any further on our own. Depending on if it was worth the effort i.e. time/possible expense.

Previous Windows upgrade Advisors listed all components, compatible or not + plus any extra actions that may need to be taken ie. reloading of certain app's after upgrade.

Good to go gets you all excited about the new Windows only to end up  after many wasted hours and nothing to show for it.

Cheers Sid

Agree with your last post (about email).

It appears that I am not allowed to say too much on here. So much for free speech. I may as well give up as not able to communicate.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Sid246

Hi FEL1,

Nice one for your efforts, Very disappointing init!

I have not tried any driver updates, as I have very little time available at present.

Did you ever do the BIOS update offered by ACER? when the Win 8.1 was offered?

I did mine. Maybe that is what is required for Win 10 (another BIOS Update). I asked Acer for the Details of the motherboard. To see if there was a BOIS from manufacturer.

8/ What is the make and model of the motherboard in this PC?

-HM77 GT640M with part number: DB.SL611.001

Shooting in the dark though ar'nt we. With no available information given. Very time consuming (what was supposed to be such a simple upgrade to Win 10.

If you have time, would be good if you could post a list of the drivers you have installed that work, with the version numbers.

CHEERS!

Sid

If you would like the questions I asked plus the answers, there must be another way. I must state though it is just useful info. Not a final solution. I am afraid I have to go back again with follow up questions, to the responses. As I said though I am time short (slow typist an all that). 

Frustrating init, I didn't even ask for windows 10. They came at me, oh! how easy it all was to upgrade. I have spent must be two whole days, messing about now.

Oh! seem to have been removed again, not only is it hard work sorting out PC issues. It is also too restrictive on freedom of speach on here. Talk about trivial.

• flygrimm
    flygrimm Member Posts: 18 New User

Have the 7600U as well.  Tried everything reasonable to get Windows 10 installed.  All failed the same way, after multiple restarts, restart to a blank screen with no cursor, restart and revert back to 8.1.  I gave up and hid the Windows 10 update so it won't try anymore.

I have never been fully happy with this computer.  The thing has crashed 4 times since I purchased it about 18 months ago.  Good thing I purchased the recovery discs as I was never able to recover from the recovery partition.  I also had to figure out how to set up the SSD Express Cache as the reinstall doesn't even address that.  This thing has so many glitches that I can't keep up.  

My latest glitch is the volume icon sometimes does not show up on boot up.  I found out somewhere online that if I restart explorer that will bring up the volume icon but most of the hidden icons for background operations never come back.  It's best to just restart.

Also sometimes the wireless doesn't work on startup.  It's like the wireless isn't even installed.  The only way to fix that is to restart, sometimes multiple times.

It's a good thing that I don't do anything important on this thing.  When it gets old it will get replaced with something other than a Acer.  A pitty, it had so much potential.

Stuart

• gaheadhunter

Tinkerer

Windows 8 will no longer be supported by Microsoft - 8.1 will soon follow.

For a computer i bought 1 year ago, I am REALLY MIFFED at Acer for not getting this situation figured out.

If it is an Nvidia driver, let us know how to fix this problem.

I had 10 working when it first came out - a later update caused it to crash and I had to revert back to 8.1 (what a PITA problem that was)

FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT

• gaheadhunter

Tinkerer

I wrote to  - Vice President: US Consumer Sales at Acer America Corp.

I suggest everyone do the same - Maybe we can get some traction.

Also, if you bought it at a retailer, I'd contact the VP of Purchasing or someone similar and let them know your issue. They don't want to resell systems that aren't supported!

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• edmundmeyer

I paid a great deal of money for this computer the 7600U.

It is most sad that much cheaper and much older computers made by other manufacturers are upgadable to windows 10.

I bought mine at costco and I think I will take the time to contact their buyers about this very sad problem. 

I truly hope the Vice President of Acer will see that we are all taken care of.

Hope to hear more on this discussion and action taken for all.