Acer Aspire M3470G crashed after i installed ram sticks

lewisrich31
lewisrich31 Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi i hope someone can help. i bought my acer aspire m3470g desktop computer back in 2012. Here is my problem it was working fine until i installed some ram sticks to my computer that a friend gave me. He said they should work, but they crashed my computer.

My computer will still boot up. but it wont do anything it will go into recovery mode. but it wont let any of the recovery tools run. and i even tried restoreing my computer. but it wouldnt accpet it.

But i also wonder if my HD crashed. but i'm not sure.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi lewisrich31

Not all RAM will be compatible with your motherboard. Remove them, and your PC should work OK. If you've any further problems, report back....

• lewisrich31

Hi Finlux. yeah. i done took them out and my computer is still not working. i have no clue whats going on. its not letting me do nothing. and i know i took the right ones out.

• lewisrich31

Hi Finlux, it let me run a start up repair diagnosis and this is what it gave me for the results.

From what i seen from this repair log i hope its not telling me that my motherboard is corrupt .  but i'm not sure what it really is saying. i'm not a computer expert.

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
    ----------------------
    Number of repair attempts: 1

Session details
    ----------------------
    System Disk = /Device/Harddisk0
    Windows directory =
    AutoChk Run = 0
    Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Check for updates
    Results: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 15 ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: System disk test
    Time taken = 16 ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Disk failure diagnosis
    Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
    ----------------------
    Name: Disk metadata test
    Time taken = 0 ms

Root cause found:
    ----------------------
    MBR is corrupt.

Repair action: Disk metadata repair
    Results: Failed. Error code = 0x17
    Time taken = 0 ms

----------------------
    ----------------------

• finlux

MBR is corrupt actually refers to the Master Boot Record. It's the part that actually allow the computer to boot in to Windows. In your case this is now corrupted - hence why it won't boot. Your motherboard (should be) OK!

There is a straight forward guide on how to repair your MBR here. This should allow you to boot back in to Windows.

• lewisrich31

HI Finlux, i tried that command prompt. but it didnt work. this is what it said.

X: \windows\system32>bootrec /fixmbr

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

• finlux

OK, make sure that there is nothing attached to your computer - EXCEPT keyboard & mouse. Try again.

• lewisrich31

Well. the only thing that is connected to that computer at the moment is a mouse and keyboard .

• finlux

If you've still got issues, then double check that the RAM is the original that your PC came with. Boot into BIOS/UEFI & verify that your hard drive is "seen" by the computer. If it is not, then that will be the issue. Also check the RAM is seen too.

If your hard drive IS shown, then I think the only realistic thing you can do is to re-install Windows. You will loose everything on your HDD, but if you've made a backup then you can restore from that.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

lewisrich31 wrote:

HI Finlux, i tried that command prompt. but it didnt work. this is what it said.

X: \windows\system32>bootrec /fixmbr

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

How did you get into recovery mode to try that command? You might want to try booting from an original OS disk instead of a recovery partition, or vise versa. It's also possible there is a hardware issue with the drive, but from your description I'd bet it's just some corruption caused by trying to boot with the wrong type of memory.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lewisrich31

It starts up, and it trys to load windows but it wont load it comes up to Recovery mode recommended or Start windows normaly. when I try windows start up normal it loads then goes to a black sceen then a few minutes after it shuts down. When I do Recovery mode It wont let me do nothing. it will let me run some recovery tools. but none of them really work. it gives me the option of restoreing back to factory, but when i do every thing is non- clickable other then exit.

My Ram sticks that came with my computer are the only ones in my computer. it took the other ones out that caused all this. i almost want to say my HDD crashed. because i unpluged it and took it out. and started up the computer to see what it will do. It started up, then it came to a blue screen saying windows partion could not be found. i believe thats what it said.

I found a cheap exact HDD of the Same HDD that is in my computer. but i dont have a windows 7 install disk, or a back disk. I just need to know if it possible could be my HDD. thats not letting the computer boot. up.

• finlux

It may be the HDD, although I just think your WIndows installation is corrupt. It's going to be a case of trial & error!

Have you tried to Reinstall Windows by pressing ALT+F10 when you see the Acer logo when booting?

If you wish to reinstall Windows 7 on your new hard drive, you have two options:

1. Buy Acer recovery disks for your model

2. Beg, buy (if you can find one!) or borrow a Windows 7 HP disk & use your product key (on the side of your tower). Download all the drivers from the support sight first to a USB stick or DVD.

• lewisrich31

Okay well. i pressed Alt + F10 and it loaded up and all. but once again. all options are non- clickable the only thing that is clickable is exit.

Does Acer website or Mircosoft have a windows 7 install download link so i can burn it to DVD. Or could i download Windows 10 and use my same product key.

Once again. i'm not a expert on computers. so i'm just going with what i know and relaying it back to you guys.  So you can try to help me out. i have a friend that has a windows 8 installation disk. would that work. on my current HDD. or a new HDD. but i would still have to buy a windows product key for that wouldnt I.

• finlux

Perhaps it is the HDD at issue here!

Acer can supply you the original OS for your machine on disks. It will contain Windows 7 plus all the drivers & applications you'll need. See the link in item 1 on my previous post. Windows 7 is not available for download anymore.

As for the Windows 8 disk, then yes, you will need a product key. If you wish to upgrade to 8, see places like Amazon for a disk.

I'd use your new HDD & not your old one - not wise if it is faulty!

• lewisrich31

Hi. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone that tryed to help me out with my problem, but i actually done some research on acer.com cant remember the exact location where i found it but it told me how i could fix my computer and it worked. all it basiclly said is if it would let you restore then i had to go into Bios setup. and changed the AHCI to disabled but it was already disabled so i enabled it and saved and exit , and restarted the computer and it let me restore the computer. but i found this under the Advance section on my windows 7 computer.  and then you go to integrated Peripherals. and then it should be Onboard SATA Mode should be on AHCI. if anyone comes to a point if their computer wont let them click anything in the erecovery mode.

• finlux

Ah great! Glad you're now fixed Smiley Happy