Acer ATC-605-UB11 My computer is painfully slow even after resetting to "new"

rmcsbuck
rmcsbuck Member Posts: 8 New User

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Might help if you could maybe give more info about your sytem, If you have made any adjustments to your system, What software you are running as of today?

One of the problems that i have seen is that people will buy Value ram and install it and seems to be good over a little time but then things just GET really slow. Thinking it may have been something they installed they will then try and put it all back to the way it was... Still slow they don't get the idea of what it could be.. Then they put the Ram back as it came from the factory and all Speeds back up....

With our systems today there are so many things that can make things go slow.... Change of hardware, Change in the Bios settings, change in software and also some updates came sadly make our ssystems worse then they were at one time.....

now when you said that you reset to new that tells me that if it was an update then that would have made the system somewhat better then with a Bad update if you will.... Then another thing? Update from 8 or 8.1 to 10? You went back to your old software or just did a reset back to start of your 10?

Again if you could give more info you may find more help for the issue.....

Have you changed out anything? added anything? Things like Printers don't really matter much.. But a different HDD, or GPU, or extra USB devices and things like that can make things go slower... Also some Software can but seeing that you said you went and did a reset then that shouldn't matter....

James

Edit: Maybe have to go into your Bios and set it back to factory settings if you may have made some type of change in there???? If so on the last screen of the Bios where you would exit from is how you can set it back to normal. Maybe something changed in there that made it go slow.. An idea with out more INFO just poking in the dark End Edit:

• rmcsbuck

I have (and started with) 8.1. The only thing I added in the realm of what you are discussing is a usb for my wireless mouse and keyboard. I did go into BIOS and reset it to factory (in case I accidentally hit something) but I am not skilled enough to change things there. I only went there looking for a way to start in safe mode as I have done in old computers but did not find that.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Not sure how Safe mode will help. But if you want to get to safe mode you will need to do one of a couple of things...

If you are in Windows, Press and hold Shift and Then click the Restart on your windows.... 

If you are in the Log in screen you can also get there by Pressing the Shift and then from the power button click on Restart. I alway press and Hold until it comes up to the Options window In 10 should be same as 8 as I don't remember right now as I have updated all my machines to 10. I am going to take one of my XC600 back to 8.1 again I think for Trouble shooting and test reasons...... 

From that menu you can choose continue, Troubleshoot or Turn off your pc. If you pick Troubleshoot You can RESET this PC or go to Advanced Options. Under Advanced Options there is System Restore, System Image Revovery, Startup Repair, Command Prompt, UEFI Firmware Settings, and Startup Settings....If you choose Startup Settings you will be able to Enable Safe Mode. How loads of other things also. 9 items on the first page of things.  More if you press F10 you can enter to start up Windows as normal as well.... 

James

• rmcsbuck

I was trying to get to safe mode because at the time it would not start at all. I did get to it the way you stated (through advanced). Now it is just painfully slow (20-30 minutes to start up. In the task manager on the performance tab it says mt disc is running at 100% pretty much full time.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

rmcsbuck,

I have two TC-605s and never experienced anything like that.  TC-605-UR13 and TC-605-UR19 which are basically the same computer as what you have with i5-4440.

How are you resetting your Windows 8.1 PC?  Are you choosing "just remove my files"?  Which option are you choosing?

Have you created a USB factory default recovery drive yet?

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rmcsbuck

I did the total reset not just my files (I tried that first). There is something running in the background that will not go away. I can not find it, but I am not that proficient with computers. Nothing that shows in task manger is running that hard. When I go to the performance tab the disc is running at 100%. I have not created a factory recovery drive as I have not got back to the factory settings for some reason.

• JordanB

You said you did a factory reset, but you haven't got back to factory settings.  I don't understand.  Could you try to explain.

Can you please watch the video below?  And RESET YOUR PC.  Just Remove My Files.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvFRTfFGCgY

Edit:

After you do the reset.  Don't upgrade to Windows 10 yet.  First, go and make a Windows 8.1 factory default recovery drive.  Watch the video below.  You'll need either a 32 GB or 16 GB USB flash thumb drive.  Some TC-605s require a 32 GB flash drive but most require a 16 GB flash thumb drive.  The program will tell you which size you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYUS-3H2B8

• rmcsbuck

If it was back to factory settings we would not be conversing. Since my last reply I did a "fix" with Windows updater. It removed "bit services". The computer was running like it should and the light showing busy was actually off more than on for a change. Then I screwed up and did a shut down and now it is as it was if not worse. I will try the recovery drive but not sure as slow as this thing is if it will do it. If I recall it said something about having a good connection. My connection is ok at best but with the computer going so slow I am not so sure it will work.

• rmcsbuck

I went to the site you sent me to but...why would I use the "bad" set up I have to make a back up with?

• JordanB

Follow this video and then report how it goes.  Reset your PC.  Just remove my files.

• rmcsbuck

That is what I did when I said set back to factory defaults only I did fully clean the drive the 2nd time. The first time I did just remove my files.

• JordanB

Why don't you try it again?

Did you interupt the reset process when you selected "fully clean the drive"?

One last time.............and then I'll give up.

Can you try this again......?

Can you please watch the video below?  And RESET YOUR PC again.  Just Remove My Files.

• rmcsbuck

I watched the video and yes I can try it again but what you do not understand is I no longer have any files on here now. It takes 20-30 minutes just to come back up let alone run that cleaner. No documents, pics, programs. etc. other than what it came with.