acer aspire screen goes black when I plug in to power

skugler99
skugler99 Member Posts: 2 New User

The screen of my Acer Aspire E15 Touch goes black as soon as I plug it in to a power source. Works fine on battery alone, but not when it's connected to power. Help!

Answers

• sew662012
    sew662012 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same issue.

Have you recently installed Windows 10 upgrade.

It maybe a coincidence that this was the first time i had used my charger since installing the upgrade.

Does the screen come back on when you unplug the charger?

• geowat5
    geowat5 Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem here. Just got Win 10. Screens comes back right away when unplugged. G

• sew662012
    sew662012 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have found the solution.

It is Windows 10.

I have reverted my machine back to Windows 8.1 and its working perfectly.

As long as you haven't had Windows 10 on your machine for 30 days you can revert back to Windows 8.1.

First of all open Settings and click Update and Recovery

Now in Update and Recovery window click on Recovery option. This will open a list of 3 options on the right hand side. You need to look for “Go back to a previous version of Windows” option. To start the process, click Get Started button under this option.

It will ask you to plug in your charger before allowing you to continue.

Make sure your battery is fully charged, because before you press the get started button you need to place the cursor over the button and plug in the charger.

Once the screen goes black press the keypad which should then click the button.

Wait a few seconds and then unplug the charger.

All being well the process will now continue without the charger plugged in.

Once you get to the restart screen it should be safe to plug in the charger and you should then still have a screen you can see.

Hope this helps.

• whataslacker
    whataslacker Member Posts: 3 New User

Having the same problem and it just seems to keep getting worse and worse. 

When I turn on the laptop when it is plugged in I get the Acer logo then the screen goes black.

I have to force the system to shut down and then try to restart it. Sometimes this will actually work but this eveing it caused major problems with the PC.

If the system is on battery it starts fine but if I try to plug in the power adapter the screen immediately goes black. Unplug and it comes back.

I haven't tried this yet, because I could not get my system to come back after plugging it in until now, but I found this possibe solution and since the system is currenly plugged in and charging I cannot try it yet.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/247244/acer+aspire+e+15+screen+off+w-power+supply+connected,+fine+w-battery

With your computer unplugged, right-click Start --> Power Options --> Choose when to turn off the display.

Under the "plugged in" ... move the brightness slider all the way to the left. Plug it in now, you should be good to go. Clearly a bug in Windows 10

Wish me luck. I will come back here and post if this works. Because going back to Windows 8 is not an options for me (even if it was within that 30 day window I just hate it so that this issue was better than all of Windows 8 put together).

• whataslacker

Like I said I did not try these steps exactly as I was in messing with those settings while the laptop was plugged in. But instead of setting my brightness all the way to 100% where I like it I set it to 70% then turned off the PC and then restarted it. It started just fine. (but then again I had a week of this PC working then it went back to black screens again...unfortunately I do not remember if I was using the system on battery only then).

I found another thread which offers up two more options to try when/if this issue comes back.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2741093/windows-black-screen-updating.html

Press Win+p, down arrow, then enter. This switches your active screen.

or

CTRL-ALT-DELETE, logged out, and then back in again

Again these are untested by me as of yet but should I get this black screen again tomorrow I will try these and once again come back and let you all know.

Here is a break down from another site of most of the other forums attempts at fixing this issue (of course their solution is their software which is probably riddled with malware so ignore that solution and read the others).

http://www.drivethelife.com/windows-10/black-screen-on-windows-10-issue-how-to-fix.html

• whataslacker

Well there is definitely something screwy with the display brightness settings on this system and if the first solution I posted is correct the glitch is with Windows 10.  I was just in the System Settings>Power & Sleep>Additional Power Settings and the screen brightness was set at 70% (to the right which is supposed to be bright), but I display was a little too dark for me so I went ahead and moved it closer to 100% and the screen got darker. Moved it to 100% and it went black. Moved it all the way to the left and instead of getting dark it went to the brightest setting. So I have now moved it to 50% so I will not have to mess with the brightness every time and hopefully won't be turning on my system to a black screen. First test tomorrow will be to turn it on without the power cord plugged in then try plugging it in (this usually causes my screen to go completely black, if it does not I will consider this a win).

• frlarsen
    frlarsen Member Posts: 1 New User

I too have this very issue.

I'd very much appreciate a solution from either Microsoft or Acer (don't know where the problem originated from, but defo a win10 issue)

Anyhow, this helps me so it may help someone else too. So my screen goes black when I connect the power cable, but it seems to be on and going. I just close the screen, wait for the blue light to start blinking orange then open it up again. This way I can get back to use it quickly. Just don't touch the power button.

I'ts not a fix, but a relief, hope it works for you as well.

• Adam1028
    Adam1028 Member Posts: 1 New User

hey buddy,

I just got this Acer E15 and was having the same problem. I was reading this thread and got very worried when i saw that others were saying I would have to revert to Windows 8. After taking a few minutes manuevering around in my settings I found the answer to the problem. I almost over looked it but I wanted to share it so you could get it taken care of also. Follow the steps below and I am sure you will be happy!!

With the laptop unplugged

Open the Windows icon ---> Click on Settings ---> Open System ( display,notifications,apps,power) --->

Click Power & Sleep ---> click on Additional Power Settings

This should bring you to a screen that is titled "choose a customized power plan"

The option for Balanced should be checked by default ---> Next to balanced click on change plan settings --->

Underneath where it says plugged in there is a brightness meter. Normally putting the dial all the way to the right would mean max brightness but for some reason putting it all the way to the left means max bright. ( this is what i found to be confusing especially because it was deaulted all the way to the right.) if you but that 3/4 of the way to the left and press save. Then plug in laptop and VIOLA!!! no more black screen while plugged in

frlarsen wrote:

I too have this very issue.

I'd very much appreciate a solution from either Microsoft or Acer (don't know where the problem originated from, but defo a win10 issue)

Anyhow, this helps me so it may help someone else too. So my screen goes black when I connect the power cable, but it seems to be on and going. I just close the screen, wait for the blue light to start blinking orange then open it up again. This way I can get back to use it quickly. Just don't touch the power button.

I'ts not a fix, but a relief, hope it works for you as well.

• dave21
    dave21 Member Posts: 1 New User

Yes.

• AuntNana
    AuntNana Member Posts: 1 New User

Not sure if this will work for everyone. While my charger was still unplugged i pushed the power button until my labtop turned off. Then i plugged my charger back in and clicked the power button again. So far it hasnt turned black again.