windows 10 product key on new ssd

Options

hello

i have a Vnitro black upgraded to windows 10 but my m.2 ssd died.

I installed a new one and starting a fresh install of windows 10 but i wanted to know what will happen with my product key .

the vnitro originally had a legit windows 8.1.

is there a way not to lose the key , or will windows 10 recognize the machine by itself ?

any advices please ?

thank you

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

microsoft servers will recognise your machine when you will be online, so no need of product keys, just skip that steps during installation.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • [Usuário excluído]
    Options

after installation i am am not able to activate my windows.

i have internet , i can update but the activation panel say : error code :0xc004c003 the activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked

i have internet

what to do ?

• IronFly
    Options

have you checked if previous windows 10 update was activated and marked as authentic?

sometimes this happens, since the first days was a total mess and Microsoft servers was under pressure.

you can try to re-install windows 8.1 and then update and check if windows 10 is activated.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

• [Usuário excluído]
    Options
    How will i activate windows 8.1 ??
    Also only usb 3.0 works ..i have 2 usb ports not working at all..not even power .. Acer sold me a lemon
  • IronFly
    Options

windows 8.1 product key is embedded on BIOS, so you need just to re-install it and it will automatically authenticate.

• [Usuário excluído]
    Options

i ended up contacting microsoft support , they installed a new win 10 key and it was activated successfully .

but from the first day i got the laptop ( refurbished ) i have 2 dead usb ports .

even if i insert an external hdd , the system doesnt see anything ..the hdd doesnt turn on or anything at all .

• IronFly
    Options

Good to hear it.

about USB ports, there's any yellow exclamation mark on device manager?

windows key logo + x

Device manager

• [Usuário excluído]
    Options

no not at all 

i will post later a picture of the usb ports in the device manager .

the usb2.0 on the left are dead , the usb 3.0 on the right are working perfectly .

• IronFly
    Options

i suspect an hardware failure.

• [Usuário excluído]
    Options

yeah this is what i thought .. but this was the case since the begining but i am not in africa so i couldnt ship my laptop back to USA for repair even if it is under warranty .

do you think i can repair it myself ?

• IronFly
    Options

if it's an hardware issue, nope. the USB ports are soldered into the mainboard and you need to replace the mainboard.

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Member Posts: 44

Tinkerer

Options

I had this problem yesterday as I clean installed windows 10, deleting all partitions. Even after it was activated from the upgrade the key got blocked. This took a few hours to sort out, but I fixed it....You will need;

8GB USB stick

3-4 hours

Back up of important files

Firstly you need your BIOS product key, you can find your previous OEM key that is hidden in the system BIOS. Asuming you still have Windows 10 on and can still access the laptop in a windows environment;

Use this tool, RWeverything from here

http://rweverything.com/download/

Tutorial here to get your key.

https://philipyip.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/rweverything.png

Now you have the key, you need to go back and re-install 8.1 vanilla.

Go here and download the official Windows 8.1 from MS

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media.

Create a x64 version of Windows 8.1 Home on the stick

Reboot lappy, but change the BIOS with F2 (or F8, I just mash them all) and choose boot options, and using F6 push your USB stick to the top, save and exit.

Install 8.1, using said product key.

That will self-activate.

Do all the windows updates till you get the upgrade to Windows 10 Icon.

To force install Windows 10, open explorer and go to “C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download” delete all the files and folders in here, allowing permissions.

Close that and open up Windows update so it’s in the background.

Type in CMD in the start bar, right click on the CMD icon and 'run as administrator’. In that window, type in “wuauclt.exe /updatenow”

Windows 10 will start downloading.

Upgrade to Windows 10 as per normal, and it will install and be activated.

NOW….YOU CAN STOP HERE, as you now have a full activated Windows 10, however, if you want a clean install, please continue;

Download SHOWKEYPLUS from here (I had to register on the forum);

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html

It will show you your old Windows 8.1 key you had, and you new Windows 10 key. Copy and paste them and email them to yourself so they don’t get lost!!!

Next go get the Windows 10 install from MS from here, choosing X64;

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Reboot lappy, but change the BIOS with to boot off the stick again, save and exit.

This next bit is optional. I have a small SSD (60GB, so I want max space). So during the install, I choose advanced, and delete all the partitions on the windows drive (drive 0 in my case) and then install Windows. If you are using this guide, I doubt you have the original drive, or the recovery partition was wiped some how, but doing this will mean you can’t recover the original ACER factory image. DO THIS PART AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Install using 10, using said product key when prompted.

Windows 10 will then clean install and self activate.

Job done.

• IronFly
    Options

You can't use the windwos 10 product key to do a clean install, because it's a standard product key that is shared to the same windows 10 version on all PC that did the update.

you must install skipping the product key and the first time you will connect to the web, your windows 10 copy will be authenticated (if you did the windows 10 update).

the hardwareID key is stored on microsoft servers and if it matches your computer, it will be authenticated without any product key needed.

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Options

Unsure as to why this meathod worked when the previous method didn't then.

Any ideas why a block key then become unblocked?

• IronFly
    Options

Read here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

they say blocked but it's not the right word, simply the first days of windows 10 update, the Microsoft servers were pushed hard and some hardwareIDs wasn't stored, so the authentication/sync error when you try to do a clean install.

you can read tons of thread about this kind of issue and about the windows 10 upgrade product key being the same for all.

about you entering the standard product key, it will be accepted but it's not needed.

• Bozzy

Tinkerer

Options

That guides a bit long winded then.

I could have used RWeverything to get the key out the bios and phoned MS then.....

Ahh well, only cost a bit of time!

• IronFly
    Options

Yep, most of users have phoned MS. Smiley Very Happy