Motherboard on Predator G3-605 and RAM

NorthernGuy
NorthernGuy Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Good afternoon - well at least from my part of the world. :-)

I puchased a (new) Acer Predator G3-605 a little more than a week ago.

I must admit that it's such a long time ago since I read myself up on the different components of data, and I still have black holes knowledge especially as to compatibility.

I have two questions: The first one rearding compatibility and second one related to something else.

Queston 1:

After some search I found that the motherboard indeed is called 'Predator G3-605'. Well, on the net-based shops carrying this Acer model, the specs show that the RAM is 1600 MHz. I am yet to know (as of my black holes of computer knowledge) whether this detailed spec only showed info for the specific RAM brick installed, or whether this spcification tells that this megaherz / RAM type which is the only type that the Predator G3-605 motherboard can handle?

I ask - naturally - because I would like to upgrade the RAM in the machine, and I wonder whether I need to keep within the megaherz listed under the specs, or whether I can use other megaherz, as long as I keep to DDR3?

For you who are have great knowledge with computers in general, this first question of mine should be very easy to answer.

Question 2:

This question is related to my attempt at an online chat after I registered my Predator G3-605 an hour ago, which I did through the 'Acer Portal' program which was already on my machine. So, was immediately shown as successfully registered, but when I went to the chat, and plotted in my serial number, this info came up:

"Our records indicate the serial number you have entered is no longer eligible for warranty support.

If you feel this information is incorrect, please scan and submit a copy of your Proof of Purchase."

(I did upload the documents just a few moments ago.)

I realize that it must be because I am from Europe that I probably can't get online help through a chat, but I still react on the info where my machine allegedly isn't eligible for warranty support, which sounds like my machine is too old for it.

I also assume that my machine will not be shown as 'eligible for warranty support' even after I uploaded the documents, and that I need to call my local Acer support for all kinds of questions.

Shouldn't instead the automated info show that the product is within the warranty period, but not eligible for support outside the country of purchase?

Fortunately this community exists, and I know that communities like these are generally of great help!

Especially the easy first question I had should be an easy match for many of you people. :-)

Thanks for your time.

Best Answer

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Hello,

1- Original memory sticks (it supports up to 32Gb - 1600MHz - 4x8Gb): 

Spoiler
    KN.2GB07.011DIMM.2GB.DDR3L.1600.256*8 1.35V
    KN.2GB0G.039DIMM.2GB.DDR3-1600.UNB.HYN
    KN.4GB07.006DIMM.4GB.DDR3L-1600.KIN
    KN.4GB07.014DIMM.4GB.DDR3L.1600.KIN.1.35V
    KN.4GB0G.024DIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600.UNB
    KN.8GB07.004DIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KIN
    KN.8GB07.012DIMM.8GB.DDR3L-1600.KIN
    KN.8GB0G.008DIMM.8GB.DDR3-1600.UNB

2- Tchat:

I've found no link of tchat on your Acer website.

France
  • NorthernGuy

Tinkerer

Hi laurent_14,

Thank you for your answer where you provided the list of detailed specifications for RAM sizes and frequencies for this motherboard. :-)

But if you - or anyone else - could help me understand this better:

Since yesterday I've been reading around on the internet regarding RAM and motherboards. And if I understand it correctly, even if a certain frequency is listed as supported, the motherboard will nevertheless accept RAM bricks with higher (or lower) frequencies - but the motherboard will only utilize the lower frequency that it can deal with?

Meaning in the case of this particular Predator G3-605 motherboard: If I buy HyperX Beast DDR3 2400MHz XMP 16GB (2x8GB), they would work on this motherboard? Only downscale the frequency to 1600 MHz. Or is this not correct?

Thanks again for guiding me to understand this better.

Regards

PS! Regarding the Acer live chat support which i mentioned: It does exist, but it is on the international Acer site. (But of course such a chat is not found at the support pages outside USA, though I think Canada is included in that particular support page.)

Here is the link to the Acer chat. )

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/options/

If the memory finder doesn't work, you could always contact their sales dept to make sure you're buying the right product.

http://www.kingston.com/us/company/contacts#tech

It's always a safer bet to buy ram with the same voltage as what you have installed, but I would probably check with Kingston.  

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NorthernGuy

Tinkerer

JordanB, that was a fantastic link you provided me!

I am a bit more enlightened, though yet a little more confused as well: The motherboard in question lists 1600MHz on its specifications (as I stated earlier.) But on the 'Memory Search' (the link you provided me) it was confirmed that the motherboard can even utilize memory sticks with at least one higher frequency. Because the only other frequency listed was 1866MHz, I then wonder why not higher frequencies are listed? Whether it is because even higher frequencies are not tested, or indeed that it is known that other frequencies than the listed 1600MHz and 1866MHz will not work on this motherboard?

I will most likely buy within the 1600MHz or 1866MHz and keep my eyes on the listed memory sticks found from the Kingston Memory Search. Yet I will not quite press your answer as the solution yet, as I am curious to hear anyone's insight on whether RAM bricks with even higher frequencies can work on this motherboard?

Anyway, my sincere thanks - to both of you. I find it truly commendable that individuals like you take your time to provide guidance, quite unconditionally really.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer

Corsair Memory Finder only gives Vengeance Pro Series DDR3 1600MHz.

France
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

You can check crucial too.

https://www.crucial.com/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • NorthernGuy

Tinkerer

Deeply appreciated responses. Conclusion: Now I can at least have a larger range of memory sticks that I can consider when buying (not just 1600MHz but also 1866MHz.) Thank you very much guys!