How can I upgrade m5-581tg bios to 2.11?

Options
thomasjbuico
thomasjbuico Member Posts: 4 New User

I would like to upgrade my Aspire M5-581TG BIOS from 1.12 to 2.11 so I can have full UEFI support for windows 10. Right now, I can not boot into the UEFI install of woindows 10 by default directly. the only way to do it is enable the f12 boot menu and select the "Unknown Dvice: Windows Boot Manager" which is annoying and prevents me from easily dual-booting.

So I tried to upgrade the BIOS from the offical website located here: however when I download, unzip, and run the application I get the following error. "Please update to the same type of BIOS (v1.x)" and after I click OK on that error message popup the utility will close and I can not upgrade the BIOS.

How can I do this so I can have UEFI support?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Nope, no way.

2.x versions are only for M5 with windows 8 from factory, yours has windows 7.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

you can't mix BIOS versions:

1.x can update on to 1.x versions

2.x can update on to 2.x versions

so you will not be able to flash 1.x to 2.x

• thomasjbuico
    Options

ok, so is there any way to get bios v2.11 on my laptop which has a bios from acer written specifically for it? I do not need v1.x. I only need v2.x

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

Nope, no way.

2.x versions are only for M5 with windows 8 from factory, yours has windows 7.

• thomasjbuico
    Options

hmm, ok. thats not very cool but i guess you awnsered my question.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome.

here an official answer from Acer-Justin (it's about desktop BIOS but it's the same on laptops):

http://community.acer.com/t5/Desktops-All-In-Ones/TC-605-Bios/m-p/356954#U356954

here the Acer KB:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35410#_ga=1.81931349.2109177882.1429897381

• thomasjbuico
    Options

OK, I just feel like there should be a way to flash the new 2.x BIOS to to MOBO directly and not thru windows. (the manufacture would have had to have done this at some point too...unless they only use preinstalled chips which would be a bad way to do it. for reasons such as this.)