Acer Aspire V3-571G overheating

Lament
Lament Member Posts: 1 New User

Laptop specs:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_r3.140827-1500)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire V3-571G
BIOS: V2.21
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8082MB RAM
Page File: 2000MB used, 7360MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

The laptop experiences overheating issues in both Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Ubuntu 14.04 lts. In windows, simple applications such as Minecraft(on their own) will cause the laptop to shutdown without notice and the bottom of the laptop also gets extremely hot. When this happens, the fan doesn't appear to be running at all. In Ubuntu, watching youtube using firefox will cause the exact same thing. 

I've seen a number of responses on other acer aspire related forums/posts/etc suggesting that the solution was to update the BIOS - which I did, and it had no effect.

I really need to find a solution to this problem as the laptop, despite being fairly new, is practically useless if it can't even run the simplest of applications. I can't find any fan control options in the BIOS either, so I imagine there must be some other way to configure the fans in some way.

Is there some update that can fix this or another way I can get the fans to run when it gets hot?

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Lament,

I can only imagine the frustration of your not being able to use your notebook for your needs. If the fan is not kicking in or maintaining the internal temps, then I would recommend contacting technical support in your region. This could be a hardware issue if the BIOS update did not help.

Another suggestion, because I do not know the age of the unit or environment, have you tried using a can of compressed air to clear the vents out of all dust and see if that makes a difference?