A1-810 OTG (Keyboard or Mouse support)

Options
DGP_Maluco
DGP_Maluco Member Posts: 7 New User

Hello community!

I have an Acer A1-810 with me and I wanted to connect it with an USB keyboard, I bought the OTG cable, the cable works I've tested it with my Nexus 7 2012, but the Acer tablet won't work with the keyboard connected trough OTG! Am I missing something? I read reviews saying it does inded support it. What can I do? It's on version 4.4.2 on Android (KitKat).

Thanks this is an urgent matter please help me!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I just got a suggestion to use the original USB OTG Acer cable, tested (not me) with KK and 830, worked.

Part Number
    50.L0KN5.001
    Description
    CABLE USB A FEMALE TO USB B MICRO MALE 7IN. WHITE
    Part Number
    XZ.70200.194
    Description
    CABLE USB A FEMALE TO USB B MICRO MALE BLK

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DGP_Maluco
    Options
    How different can an otg cable be? It works with the Nexus it should work with everything
  • rqt
    rqt Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

I have an A1-810 running KitKat & I use an eBay no-name OTG cable with it. I have previously used wireless USB keyboard/mouse combos with it satisfactorily.

I have just been trying it with a Dell multimedia keyboard that has an inbuilt USB hub, and a 5 button Dell optical mouse. The A1 works with either of these 2 components individually, but when the mouse is plugged into one of the keyboard USB ports neither of them work. I assume the power available from the A1 USB port is insufficient to run them both together.

• IronFly
    Options
    I think so, power from OTG will not sufficient to handle two devices, will be interesting to try a powered USB hub connected to A1 and two devices.
  • DGP_Maluco
    Options
    Did you enable something or did you just plug it in and it works? I don't know why mine doesn't I just plug it in with the keyboard already and it just works on my Nexus
  • rqt
    Options

I just plugged it in & it works. (I have also used USB thumbdrives & card readers with this cable, with the powered mini hub mentioned below I have used hard disk drives on it, but it would not play with a DVD drive)

I have a OTG mini hub capable of accepting auxiliary power & will try it tonight. The A1 might still have a problem with the keyboard hub but you would expect the keyboard to work & for the mouse to at least light up.

• DGP_Maluco
    Options
    Nothing no lights nothing, could the unit be defective? Is there more than a type of Acer A1-810 tablet? Should I activate the warranty on it?
  • IronFly
    Options

As far as i know, there's only one type of A1-810.

Wait until monday about the warranty, i sent this thread to an Acer tech (the one who suggested the Acer cables), let's see if something arise.

• DGP_Maluco
    Options
    Thank you!
  • rqt
    Options

With the powered OTG mini hub the Dell keyboard & mouse both worked (with the mouse plugged into the keyboard hub). So there must be a fairly severe power limitaton on the A1 USB port which might be exceeded by some (e.g. illuminated) keyboards.

I also checked operation with USB hard drives, both FAT32 & NTFS. The A1-810 reads & writes to both.

• DGP_Maluco
    Options
    I can't connect a simple keyboard