trouble with memory card reader

PatPeoples84
PatPeoples84 Member Posts: 5 New User

bought an Acer C720 Chromebook in July, new.  Now having trouble with memory card reader.  Sometimes it reads, sometimes it won't.  Can this be fixed?

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Hi PatPeoples84,

Yes it can, unfortunately it will probably require coming in for service.

I would recommend contacting the warranty provider. In the US, refurbished products are handled by a different facility than new products. If you have issues figuring that out send me a private message with your Serial Number and I'll help get the correct contact information.

Thanks,
    Cory

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Have you ruled out the SD card? Is it happening on other devices or is another SD card also intermittently not working on the chromebook?

• PatPeoples84

It is not the memory card.  I have a refurbished Acer C720 and the memory card is read easily on it but not on my brother's new AcerC720.  He also bought a new card, took new photos and tried it and his Acer will not read the new card either.  Can the memory card reader on his computer be replaced?

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Hi PatPeoples84,

Yes it can, unfortunately it will probably require coming in for service.

I would recommend contacting the warranty provider. In the US, refurbished products are handled by a different facility than new products. If you have issues figuring that out send me a private message with your Serial Number and I'll help get the correct contact information.

Thanks,
    Cory

• PatPeoples84

Sorry, but I'm back.  Haven't tried the power wash suggestion because Google support says that my problem is with ACER.  Not the reader itself but perhaps a driver or BIOS update?  I tested the SD card again today on my C720 and today it gives me the .CTG extension and no photos!  The same SD in my Windows laptop shows all 507 photos, no problem.  I guess my question now is has ACER done some kind of upgrade or update that could be causing this problem?  And, if so, what can I do about it???  Thanks!

• Cory-Acer

Pat,

One of the great things about the ChromeOS is that it's uniform across the board and doesn't have a traditional BIOS that we are use to with other PCs. There is no BIOS update or Drivers for the Chromebooks. While it's unfortunate that it appears that you're having a hardware failure with the SD card, the Chromebook makes troubleshooting much simplier in that respect.

Cory

• PatPeoples84

Just wanted to let you know - no hardware problem.  There was in fact a Google operating system update during the time in which I was experiencing difficulties with an SD card.  I did a power wash on my computer which corrected the problem allowing the SD card to be read.  The next day, I visited my brother to do the power wash on his Chromebook and, lo and behold, it wasn't necessary.  The SD card was easily read with no intervening action by myself or my brother leading me to believe that whatever bug had existed had been eliminated by Google.  Very, very frustrating!  

• Cory-Acer

Thanks for sharing, sorry my hasty diagonsis was incorrect. I'm a bit surprised that an update addressed that issue and we weren't hearing it from more sources. I guess as easy as it is to power wash and completely reload the OS, it should have been my first suggestion. Glad everything is working without having to send it in.

Cory