Want to upgrade aspire 5600u ur13 from 6 GB to 16GB. Anyone done this? Crucial online tool says OK?

cincyjs
cincyjs Member Posts: 17

Tinkerer

I just spoke -online chat- to Acer and the tech(?) said 8GB was max. However, last year when I bought this they (Acer) said 16gb was max??? The online Crucial tool scanned my system and confirmed that 16GB was max. The Crucial recommended ram is DDR3 1600 mhz, PC3-12800 CL11 sodimm.  Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Snuffy
    Snuffy Member Posts: 150 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Aspire AU5-610-UB12 upgrade to 16GB with no issue... and if Crucial says it works, they GUARANTEE it, but remember if you burn something I'm sure Crucial will not replace your machine... I looked an several other sites say 8GB Max. I do not find your actual Model listed... I would ASK CRUCIAL if they would validate memory for you system and if it burnt something up will they replace... when your talking about $$$$ caution on the side of Too caucious - and remember what Acer said

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

All of the documentation I have on this product shows we have only tested and can only provide support for 8GB of memory. Sorry for any inconvenience.

http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/pd/ThemeID.35703000/productID.282883500

• Snuffy
    Answer ✓
    Aspire AU5-610-UB12 upgrade to 16GB with no issue... and if Crucial says it works, they GUARANTEE it, but remember if you burn something I'm sure Crucial will not replace your machine... I looked an several other sites say 8GB Max. I do not find your actual Model listed... I would ASK CRUCIAL if they would validate memory for you system and if it burnt something up will they replace... when your talking about $$$$ caution on the side of Too caucious - and remember what Acer said
  • cincyjs

Tinkerer

Thanks for your input. I just installed 16G of Crucial memory and it works great!

• cincyjs

Tinkerer

To Acer-Blayan:  I just installed 16G of Crucial memory and it works great!

• Snuffy
    Mine updated and works just fine...
  • maopr16
    maopr16 Member Posts: 3 New User

What was your procedure for removing the back of the Aspire 5600U all-in-one?

Thanks!

• cincyjs

Tinkerer

I found the procedure here.   http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043557/review-acers-aspire-u-model-a5600u-ub13-is-a-stylish-aio-with-a-few-minor-flaws.html.  Anyway, here is what I did.  Not too difficult. Remove all cabling from rear of computer. Lay it down flat on a table or something flat. Be careful not to damage screen. The bottom half of the back is fastened with a couple of small screws. Just removed screws and slide off the loosened back cover. The memory is right there. The earlier Acer AIOs were nearly impossible to remove back which is why I did not buy that model. This one is better.

• Snuffy
    yep lay flat removed all cables and usb, then removed the 2 screws - U5-610 only has 2 screws.... carefully slide down. and then ground your self, then removed the old memory and carefully replace the new . reassemble and you should have 16GB. enjoy
  • maopr16

Yes, quite simple! Thanks, upgraded to 16gb and figured out the uefi hard drive migrating thing, will put ssd in next week.

• Snuffy
    very nice and the ssd should be a easy fit also... enjoy
  • cincyjs

Tinkerer

Glad to help out. It is maddening trying to get good info from the vendors on easy stuff like this. I am also interested in an SSD and need the uefi hard drive migrating solution. Please keep us posted on that installation.

• maopr16

Hi,  I receioved the Samsung 840EVO SSD (500gb) today and installed it using the Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 4.0 ($15.96 with the coupn code: paragonsmartpon ) The samsung included migrator didn't work for me..the uefi issue? The paragon people seem to on top of the UEFI format. The drive works great!

• cincyjs

Tinkerer

Thanks for the update!

• cincyjs

Tinkerer

Hi, It has been awhile since I have been on this site, but your in comments on the memory upgrade discussion you mentioned that you were going to install an SSD. Did you do this?? Any special tweaks needed?