Blank screen after sleep/hibernation with Aspire 1825PTZ

Options
gtiso
gtiso Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi everyone

I recently bought an Aspire 1825PTZ second-hand but there's an issue with it I haven't been able to solve. I understand it's not completely uncommon, but after 24 hours of googling it I still am no closer to solving it. Basically if the machine goes to sleep or into hibernation, when it wakes the screen stays dark, even though fan, hard drives and LEDs come on. I've tried the F6 hotkey, increasing the brightness, reinstalling the graphic driver from the ACER website, disabling wi-fi - all solutions I saw suggested in the manuals or on the web - but the problem won't go away. A solution of sorts is to set up the Aspire so that it will never go to sleep or into hibernation, but this obviously makes it less usable when I'm out and about. Does anyone have suggestions, or can point me to a forum on this site with the solution?

Thank you very much

Giovanni

Answers

• gtiso
    Options

(I should add that I've done a factory reset, and run all the windows 7 updates as well as reinstalling the video driver. So it's basically a clean install.) 

• Logos
    Logos Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

Im having this same issue with a 4540-1047. when I put it to sleep it wont ever wake up.All I get is a black screen.Did you ever find a solution?

• gtiso
    Options

No, I've only just asked here a couple of hours ago though. Hopefully some kind soul will come to the rescue!

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Now you may do a BIOS update.

You can Download BIOS update from here. 

Once you download the BIOS update, open the downloaded folder and run the application file in the folder. 

Hope it helps...

• Logos

Tinkerer

Options

vvprad

I already updated the BIOS last week because this same issue was happening.And it ran fine for a few days until I put it to sleep.Even if I could , I cannot run the BIOS updater from windows because after it shut down to sleep it never woke up.It only boots up to a completely black screen, no BIOS POST again

this is a well documented BUG in alot of ACERS and there isnt a suitable solution anyone has found for alomost 3 or 4 years

• gtiso
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion wprad - I've tried that but still no luck. 

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

It might be an issue with the video card. Contact the manufacturer for further options..

• gtiso
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I was going to get to it today, but quite by accident I SOLVED the issue another way. The hard drive had started generating a SMART event, so I bought an SSD drive and cloned the faulty drive on it. It was all very smooth, but for some reason with the new drive in place now the computer comes back from sleep without a hitch. I wasn't aware that a hard drive issue could interfere with that particular function.

• Logos

Tinkerer

Options

your hard drive has nothing to do with the screen being blank. The hard drive only loads the Operating system. The motherboard controls if the screen turns on.YOu should be able to take the hard drive out and still boot the laptop to a BIOS screen

This discussion has been closed.