My Aspire A515-45 Boot times are very long (several minutes). It could be a battery issue.

Danny0minous
Danny0minous Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My laptop boot times are extremely long for a SSD system. I'm talking at least 4-5 minutes! Done a system health check and all seems fine. I have heard talk that the Battery could have something to do with the issue, is this correct?

I have 'upgraded' to Windows 11 Home a while ago with no apparent issues.

My specs
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with Radeon Graphics 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 20.0 GB

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Hi @Danny0minous It is not related to the battery, I imagine it also happens if you turn it on connected to the charger, is this correct?

Slow startup problems are usually related to physical problems in the disk when it is mechanical (does not occur in SSDs) or to programs that prevent fast startup by preloading their options.

Does it boot fast if you start in safe mode? Try it and tell me:

Thank you.
    All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Danny0minous
    Danny0minous Member Posts: 4 New User

Boot time it back to normal in safe mode.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,911 Trailblazer

3-4 min for a boot time is like an ancient PC😁and you must have some major issues, so try do do these thinsg:

Press together the keys: Ctrl + Shift + Esc to access the task manager;
    Click on start and disable all programs that start with Windows;

Turn on fast boot;

Access the Control Panel and click on System and Security;
    Click on Power Options;
    Click on Choose what the power buttons do in the menu on the left of the screen;
    Click Change settings not currently available;
    Enable the option: Turn on fast startup (Recommended);
    Click Save Changes;

Do a disk cleanup;

Press Windows key + R and type: cleanmgr press Enter;
    Click on clean system files and wait for the files to load;
    Select all files and click ok to delete them;

Restart the PC and check if the startup is faster, hope this helps, see you soon!

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer

I've seen this behavior on systems with malware installed that needed to connect to the malware servers before the OS load could complete. Scan to make sure you aren't infected. It can also happen if you have a network drive mounted that is either really slow to come up or no longer exists, or if the system drive has errors which require a chkdsk at boot-up to attempt to clean them.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • In that case it is not the disk, it is surely an infection or an application that prevents normal startup, for the first thing, download and run the following Microsoft application, this application will not be installed, it will only perform an analysis:

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • sman123
    sman123 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    edited 1:42AM

I have exactly the same problem on my A515-57. It has been like this since day 1. It's not malware or anything like that. It's either a bug in the Acer BIOS or one of their hardware drivers. It is something that is happening BEFORE Windows OS starts loading. It just sits on the Acer logo with the circle boot animation for about 5 minutes until something times out and Windows starts loading normally.

If I were to guess I would say it has something to do with the NVMe driver or something else that happens very early in the BIOS boot process. Something that fails to load properly and blocks the boot process then times out after about 5 minutes, which then lets the boot process continue normally.

Enabling fast startup in Windows makes it boot almost instantly but that is not a solution and only works after shutdown then power on, not after reboot, such as when there is a Window 11 update requiring a reboot. Also happens when I boot in safe mode. I've owned this laptop for about 2 years now and Acer still hasn't fixed this problem. Very frustrating.

• StevenGen

I've got the Aspire A515-57-56UV and its always booted very quickly, have you installed the last bios version 1.28 and have you done a clean install of Win-11 24H2 version, see if that helps, that is especially if you still have the acer oem Win-11 23H2 installed. Try that as I've done that but I've never had a 5min boot even with this laptop even when it was new. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• StevenGen
    edited 3:16AM

Update the bios to v1.52, as this bios updates the EC chip program to its latest version as the EC chip governs allot of the boot processes of a laptop and it might improve your laptops performance. Try that first and also update the AMD graphics driver to its latest version and also run Win-11 24H2 version and update it to the last OS build: 26100.2161 and see if that will fix the boot problems, as your laptop should not take 4-5minutes to boot from the green acer logo to the Win-11 login, it should take a max 40 sec. Good luck.

BIOS v1.52 updates the A515-43 EC program version of its EC chip below