Predator P05-650-Intel Microcode 0x12b? I know this will eventually do permanent damage to the CPU

PCSuser13
PCSuser13 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 11 in Predator Desktops

When can Acer customers expect a bios update that supports Intel's latest microcode?

I currently have an Acer Predator P05-650 that I can barely uses due to the lack of ability to undervolt or overclock with the current motherboard. The processor(13700f) can consistently be found reading temps of 100 degrees Celsius during simple tasks (running Minecraft, doing class work, etc.)

I know this will eventually do permanent damage to the CPU.

The bios, R01-A4, was supposed to at least get me to microcode 0x129 but that's not what I see in AIDA64. It still lists 0x125.

I would also like to request Acer list what their bios updates contain so that users can confirm what they're getting. I'm sure it isn't all that simple to do but it's helpful and would likely boost consumer confidence in your products.

[Edited the topic title to include the topic issue.]

Answers

• Sunnycoast
    Sunnycoast Member Posts: 41 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited October 11

Already released for my PO3 655

Microcode BIOS fix has been pushed to the support page for my PO3-650 (PO3-655).

MCU 0x129 update for the Intel 13th and 14th Generation CPU issue.

• PCSuser13

Thank you for pointing that out. I would hope Acer would put out some form of bulletin so people could find this stuff.

I'm still not sure if this is the correct bios for me as the product codes are different. Have you seen guidance on that?

I'd prefer not to brick the bios on this system.

• PCSuser13

Update:

The latest bios update regarding the intel microcode fix is not listed on the P05-650 driver page.

To update to the latest bios, navigate to the system updates page in system settings—> select advanced options—>select optional updates

There is an Acer firmware update that will update the bios. This process at least got me to microcode 0x129 but admittedly did not solve the issues with my computer.

The CPU temps of the computer spikes to 100 Celsius under almost any load.

I'll try upgrading this awful cpu cooler. Hopefully that helps.

• Sunnycoast

No, BIOS updates are model specific. I was just saying Acer have started adding the update for models.

Also, do not apply Microsoft FW updates (ones that often appear under the Advanced Optional tab). That causes all sorts of issues.

• Sunnycoast

Note, the microcode update for Intel 13/14th gen is for voltage spike issues - nothing to do with system temps.