ConceptD CN715-72P - Fans Always Running at High Speed

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice on an issue with my Acer ConceptD CN715-72P (out of warranty, after 3 years). I recently had a keycap replaced at a repair lab, and during that process, they cleaned the fans and applied new thermal paste.

Since getting it back, I’ve noticed that the fans are running almost constantly at full or close to full speed (around 70%) whenever the laptop is plugged in, even during low CPU and GPU usage.

Here’s my current power plan setup:

• Turn off display: 20 minutes on battery, 30 minutes plugged in.
  • Put PC to sleep: 45 minutes on battery, never when plugged in.

Alongside other tasks, I use this laptop for 3D rendering, often overnight, so I need it to stay awake when plugged in.

In light of that, I would like to know if there's a solution that lets me keep my power settings but reduces the fan noise, or at least allows me to manually control the fan speed.

Unfortunately, Acer has discontinued this line, and their proprietary software (ConceptD Palette and Acer Care) is outdated and barely functional at this point. I’ve heard some people suggest controlling the fans via PredatorSense, but I couldn’t get that to install or work.

Any suggestions

Answers

• Joe_Kingsley
    Joe_Kingsley Member Posts: 3 New User

Excess heat can cause the fans to run faster and continuously which can potentially damage internal components and reduce the performance of the computer. Your computer may contain one or more fans to keep the internal components cool.

There are a few different ways you can control the fan speed on a Windows laptop without having to make permanent changes to the system.

Here are a few options:
    Adjust power settings: You can also try adjusting your laptop's power settings to reduce the workload on the CPU and other components, which may cause the fans to spin less frequently or at a lower speed. You can do this by going to Control Panel > Power Options and selecting a power plan that is optimized for battery life or reducing the performance of the system.
    Clean the laptop's fans: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate inside your laptop's fans, causing them to spin faster and louder than necessary. If your laptop is out of warranty, you can try opening it up and cleaning the fans yourself using compressed air or a soft brush. Be careful not to damage any components while doing this.

Cheers!!!

• Bacchinif
    Bacchinif Member Posts: 60 Devotee WiFi Icon

Thank you very much for your reply, however I am puzzled this might be a ChatGPT-like response in light of the fact that you clearly haven't read / had a look at the content of my message or the images I have uploaded.

1. You're recommending to change the power settings, while I am clearly stating that I need those being set up in a certain way due to the high performance I want to maintain while using heavy software products.
    2. Why should I be cleaning the fans if they have recently been cleaned up by a technician?

Cheers!

• Alejandro_AC
    Alejandro_AC ACE Posts: 13,169 Trailblazer

HI @Bacchinif in my humble opinion, the workshop may not have carried out the process of placing the thermal paste correctly. As you know, an excess of thermal paste has the opposite effect and dissipates less heat. I would contact the workshop again and tell them about the problem.

Regards.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Bacchinif

Hello Alejandro,

there are a few issues:

1. The PC is out of warranty. Warranty ended on August 31st. They would probably give me a middle finger.
    2. I can't repaste myself (despite having thermal paste at hand) since this PC's internals are quite complex.
    3. Reaching out to the lab and sending the PC is quite a hassle. I stayed almost 1 month with no PC having to deal with the carrier, the repairing time and so on.

Are there any other solutions or other things I could do?

• Alejandro_AC
    edited 4:30PM

I still think that if the problem is the thermal paste, there is no solution, unless I am wrong and I could be, since the issue of excess thermal paste is just a supposition, in any case I would try a couple of things, the first is to change the power mode from high performance to moderate or balanced, the second step would be to reduce the processor consumption to, for example, 75% from the Windows options.
    This, logically, reduces the rendering speed, but you do not lose anything by testing if with these settings the fans reduce their speed, but keep in mind that the rendering process consumes all the possible energy, as does a demanding game and the excess heat produced by the CPU is inevitable, but the test that I suggest can serve to know if what I said about the thermal paste is correct and in this way the fans should not spin excessively at least in a low use of the CPU and GPU.

Greetings-

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
  • Bacchinif
    edited 4:33PM
    1. I can try to put the power option back to "balanced" and use the PC for 1h. Let's see if the fan speed goes down.
    2. How do I reduce the processor consumption?

I am now back on balanced, let's see:

• Alejandro_AC

Go to control panel - power options - change plan settings - change advanced power settings - processor power management - maximum state (it should be at 100%, reduce it).

• Bacchinif

Okay. I can try.

Just a quick question: How many power plans can I create? I would like to leave the High Performance like it is now and maybe create a new plan with the tweakings.

• Alejandro_AC

You can create the ones that appear by default and also, you can create personalized ones and alternate them manually according to the use of the equipment.

• Bacchinif

I have kept my laptop on the balanced profile for 1h now and the fans were a bit less loud, but still quite noisy. I wish I could just control the fan speed, which is something I can't figure out.