Acer aspire VX 15 (vx5-591g) - new SSD: KLEVV CRAS C710 M.2 22is this SSD compatible with my laptop?

TikiYum
TikiYum Member Posts: 4 New User
edited 11:46AM in Aspire Laptops

model: Acer aspire VX 15 (vx5-591g)

current SSD: 256GB Intel SSDPEKKW256G7 NVMe SSD
new SSD: KLEVV CRAS C710 M.2 2280 NVMe (1TB model)

based on my searches it was fine but I want to double check asking you guys. thanks.

[Edited the thread to add model name and issue detail to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,011 Trailblazer
    edited 11:40AM Answer ✓

Hi, the Gen4 SSD will run at half speed in a PCIe 3x4 slot approximately at the same speed of a Gen3 SSD but as the price of 1TB Gen4 SSDs have come down drastically but not for the Gen 3 SSDs, both types are OK as there is almost no price difference. Now for the Gen3 970Evo Evo plus, that has been tried in this laptop, it is different as this Gen3 SSD has DRAM memory while all Gen4 SSDs are DRAMless, read about the benefits of DRAM on the internet, if you constantly read and write with the SSD, DRAM will be faster.

Answers

• Puraw
    edited 9:19AM

Yes, you can install a 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD like the Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus or the Klevv Cras C710. M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 you propose. Keep in mind that this is a 3x2 PCIe slot so a NVMe Gen3 will run at half the rated speed but still slightly faster than a Sata M.2 SSD.

• TikiYum

Hi, thanks for the answer. just im confused about this part, would appreciate if you clarify it for me

i see people use this image usually to refer to acer aspire vx15 storage so i assume my laptop is using gen3x4. am i right?
    so the part you talked about slot 3x2 PCIe, is it about the klevv ssd itself or my laptop?
    thank you

• Puraw

Looks I have it wrong with the 3x2 slot and is in fact a 3x4 slot, sorry.

• TikiYum
    edited 10:50AM

@puraw
    just to for my information
    i found some WD gen 4x4 options too. but my board is a gen3
    so will the gen3 work better than using a gen4 in my case or gen4 's speed will just go down to my gen3 speed level

consider comparing them with something like
    Gen3 Samsung 970 Evo Plus

• Puraw
    edited 11:40AM Answer ✓

Hi, the Gen4 SSD will run at half speed in a PCIe 3x4 slot approximately at the same speed of a Gen3 SSD but as the price of 1TB Gen4 SSDs have come down drastically but not for the Gen 3 SSDs, both types are OK as there is almost no price difference. Now for the Gen3 970Evo Evo plus, that has been tried in this laptop, it is different as this Gen3 SSD has DRAM memory while all Gen4 SSDs are DRAMless, read about the benefits of DRAM on the internet, if you constantly read and write with the SSD, DRAM will be faster.

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,198 Pathfinder

@Tikiyum

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too. 

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★