some keys intermittently not work A715-74G-71CF

Matthijs
Matthijs Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 27 in Aspire Laptops

In the past few weeks I noticed a lot of problems with the keys a, c , n, . and : not working or generating a double input.

This does not happen all the time but just occasionally and enough to become disturbing when writing letters.

Gaming I did not check because I play Minecraft with the mouse and a gamepad (got used to that playing on the Nintendo Switch with my kids).

I have checked all the previous suggested solutions but found none that is working, among others the following:

*register tweaks

*Windows troubleshooter

*reinstalling the driver

*taking out and reinserting the flat cable several times to clean bad contacts.

*Inserting a small piece of cardboard under the flat-cable, so it is pushed up a little in the connector

*updating the bios

*switching on and off the sticky keys options

*switching autocorrect on and off

etc. etc.

Noting seems to work, sometimes it is ok for a while but then just when I think it is over, it comes right back.

Also while typing this, several times the "n" did not appear when the key was hit/pushed.

The sad thing is that a replacement keyboard needs to come with the top cover because it is not removable (ok there is a work around for that cutting it loose but it will not be nice to put it back, further more I seem unable to find a NE/ND keyboard on amazon or ebay or aliexpress.

I decided to switch out the whole top cover with keyboard for the original Acer part but it is pricey, it would be bad / a substantial loss if this is not the problem.

Hate to buy a new laptop while this one is upgraded with 32GB SODIMM ("A" brand), an additional 1TB NVME M2 SSD and 2TB Sata 2,5" HDD (next to the original Intel optane 455GB SSD system drive).

The machine works like a charm but only this little annoying thing with the keyboard drives me crazy.

Anyone any suggestions on what else I can try besides replacing the hardware?

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,943 Pathfinder

@Matthijs

I do see that you have tried many steps, its time to send it for Acer repair.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • @@Matthijs

Try windows + x - device manager

expand keyboard

uninstall the driver

restart the computer and check

Try windows + r - on run type systemreset

reinstall windows and check

If it is still not working it is a hardware issue

As a temporary solution , you can use external usb keyboard.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Matthijs

Yeah but sending it back to Acer repair, means I need to get all the hard drives out that contain sensitive information. (3 drives including the system drive)

This will also be pricey and not worth the value of the machine. The repair shop charges 146€ an hour and puts 30% on the part price as well. Together this will be over

I ordered a replacement keyboard (original) with top cover hence they are integrated (molten closed with some kind of plastic rivets). This will set me back 65€ incl. sending it to my local repair shop.

I will change it myself (got the skills to do so) to prevent the so called professionals to do more harm then good, real professionals are hard to come buy nowadays (in my Scandinavian country).

For other interested people needing a replacement, for the Nordic keyboard with cover, black with backlight the part number from Acer is :

6B.Q55N2.026 Upper Cover w/ keyboard Black NORDIC BL

It will take a few weeks to arrive but I will update this topic when I have replaced the keyboard for a new one and let you all know if that was the problem, if not I lost 65€ well …. there are worse things in life. In that case I will put it on ebay for 75€ excl postal costs ;D

• Matthijs

As you could read in my original post, reinstalling the driver did not work (already tried that)

Reinstalling windows is not an option right now and should not be needed. External keyboard works ok.

(using that now because it became too annoying having to hit the key's to make it work)

I must say that the problem seems to accelerate lately when playing minecraft, the machine gets quite hot, maybe I should start to use MSI-Afterburner to switch the fan on max rpm continuously when playing (easier than changing this in the boot settings every time).