Acer aspire TC-780 gpu (and cpu ?) upgrade

Romprr
Romprr Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I've had an Acer Aspire TC-780 for some years now, i would like to use this computer to play some games but i find my actual configuration having trouble to play games confortably, i'd like to have some advices maybe on what to upgrade and what i was thinking on upgrading to.

So my actual config (that i did not change) is :

GPU : Gtx 745
RAM : 8 go DDR4
CPU : Intel core i5 6400

I was actually thinking about upgrading to 16 go of ram and maybe put a RTX 3050 low profile for the gpu since it looks like i'll have trouble with a gpu that needs power coming from the power supply, later i might upgrade the cpu to a i7 7700 but i'm not really sure about when, do you think it will be possible to have this in the computer ?

Also i'm very sorry if my english is very bad it is not my primary language, thank you to the peoples that might answer too

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,512 Trailblazer
    edited September 26

The Aspire TC-780 can run on the Intel Core i7 7700 3.6G 8M 2133 Quad Core 65W Kaby Lake CPU and can run on max 32GB at 2x 16GB DDR4-3200MT/s 288-pin DDR4 1.2V UDIMM type ram like the ram modules below (see also caption below for ram list) but you need to upgrade the bios to this desktop last bios version: R02-B2

• HYNIX – 4GB HMA451U6AFR8N / 8GB HMA41GU6AFR8N / 16GB HMA82GU6MFR8N
    • SAMSUNG – 4GB M378A5143DB0 / 8GB M378A1G43DB0 / 16GB M378A2K43BB1

The GPU that you have the GTX745 is the max spec GPU that you can have with the oem TC-780 desktops Acer 500W PSU, to upgrade to an NVidia RTX3050 GPU you will require a minimum PSU power of a 550W PSU, which is not a problem with the TC-780 desktop as its mobo requires a standard 24pin PSU that is easily available today on the market like a modular PSU with an ATX1 - Standard 24-Pin ATX power connector, but you need to buy a PSU that is the same size as your oem Acer fitted PSU and will fit into the case.

So, measure the oem Acer 500W PSU that you have and look around for a new and more powerful PSU on the market today. The bigger watt PSU on the market today will make it very easy to upgrade to an RTX3050 or even a higher spec GPU liken RTX3070 or even a 40 series GPU whichever suits your budget. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Here is the TC-780 mobo layout

RAM

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

There were two different motherboards shipped with those systems. A 6th gen motherboard and a 7th gen motherboard. The 7th gen CPUs work on the newer MB and do not on the older. You can go to an i7-6700 but not an i7-7700. Not that a CPU upgrade will help much… We typically suggest you replace a HDD with a SSD first. Then upgrade the memory enough to keep it from swapping to disk. Next upgrade the GPU and only much later upgrade the CPU. The HDD to SSD change will, by far, give you the best improvement.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Romprr

Hello, thank you i didn't knew about PSUs i'll look more into it i thought i wouldn't need to change anything since it will be a low profile GPU

• Romprr

Okay thank you, the thing is i already have a SSD and an HDD, so i don't really know if there will be much improvement, i think i will first change my RAM to upgrade to 16go since i usually see hat my memory usage is very very high, i'll look to change the HDD to a SSD

• Romprr

I've look at the PSU (i thought it wass something else than the power supply) if i want to change it i basically have to change the whole computer (my PSU is stuck with my motherboard i tried to unplug it when i changed the fan of my cpu but it did not come off), do you think the low profile version of the RTX 3050 which need only the PCIE to get power (70W) can be powered without changing the PSU maybe ?