CB314-3H won't charge. Symbol appears in battery icon shows charging but it never charges.

PhilSheldon
PhilSheldon Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 23 in Chromebooks

I purchased a Chromebook 314 just before Christmas last year and it won't charge. I connect it to the mains and the little symbol appears in the battery icon to show it is charging, but it never charges. The battery isn't completely flat (showing 21% currently) but it never goes up. It has been connected on 3 occasions over the last 48 hours for over 24 hours in total and the battery just gradually drains but does not charge. I have reset the Chromebook and also power washed it, but it is still the same. I have run the battery diagnosis tool which says battery health is 100% and has only performed 6 recharge cycles (I haven't used it much!) If I run a charge test, it says it is fine, but charge status just says "Calculating"

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,686 Trailblazer
    edited September 22

Are you using the stock charger? That sounds like it's maybe running on a phone charger instead… More detail will mean we have to know just which 314 model you have, there have been a number of them over the years. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PhilSheldon

I am using the supplied charger, the model is CB314-3H

Cheers,

• billsey

OK, so 45W USB-C type charger. Have you tried it on both sides?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • PhilSheldon

Yeah, tried both sides. When you hover the pointer over the battery symbol it just says 'calculating'

When you look further into the battery management tool it can't predict usable time left or time to charge and shows no drain or charge rate. It seems like a software issue rather than a physical fault. I use Chromebooks a lot and have 4 others, but never seen this before.

• billsey

Does it charge when the system is turned off?

• antsals
    antsals Member Posts: 1 New User

Did you get this resolved I have the exact same problem, but stuck on 1% with calculating, will run off the power supply but as soon as I unplug power dies.....battery just isn't charging. Purchased Dec 23