Acer 5 A515-56 Touchpad has stopped working completely. Reset PC did not work.

Figgis
Figgis Member Posts: 89 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited September 26 in Aspire Laptops

At first it was an intermittent problem and as time went on the working periods grew shorter. I have checked the drivers and the BIOS for the correct drivers and nothing worked. The Bios device is 12C HID and all the other drivers should be OK. AS dealing with devices did not resolve things I decided to carry out a Reset PC. That hasn't resolved the problem so I don't know what else to try. Losing the Touchpad is causing me lots of probles as I have lots of stuff to set up after the Reset and I'm not used to using a psyical mouse. I have to set up Defaults and I haven't got a clue how to do it. I'm spending time on Microsoft requesting help and then trying to apply the answer. I haven't had such problems for years and don't have the patience to deal with them.

Getting the Touchpad working would make my task much easier as I would not suddenly lose a question like this b efore I sent it just because I moved the mouse.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,964 Trailblazer

Hi, boot to Safe Mode and if the touchpad is not working you probably have a hardware issue, either the eDP cable or the touchpad need replacing, these are not expensive items. There are also external USB keyboards with touchpads.

• Hello! Can you tell me the exact computer model and BIOS version?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Figgis

Screenshot of correct drivers, according to Acer Support helpline. I have installed them and the Touchpad is working. I hope it's a permanent fix. I wish I had phoned them a few weeks ago when my Touchpad started acting up. How am I to know that Chipset is a touchpad driver. Entering the SNID is supposed to show the relevant drivers but there are so many and Touchpad was not in the description. Knowing the correct Driver would have saved my sanity and a Reset PC that lost so much passwords and settings. My password managers in each browser held all my passwords and nearly s week later I'. trying to sort out the mess. Having to use a psychical mouse was horrendous. I lost several posts like this because because of the mouse moving. Thankfully this site has save draft.

When there is not a description for the Driver how do you find out the correct one to download?

• Figgis

The correct drivers to install for my Acer 5 A515-56 Touchpad. I contacted Acer Support and they provided the details of the Chipset driver. How is a PC user supposed to know it's for the Touchpad. Even the members on here did'nt know. There should be a clue in the name.

• Figgis

I googled .

external USB keyboards with touchpads and a load of keyboards appeared. Nothing looked like a touchpad.

Nothing looked like a touchpad.

The Touchpad is now working , see info in the previous post. Fingers crossed it will continue.

• Figgis

It's not needed but it was in the earlier but all the details were in my previous question. https://bit.ly/47J9Ais

I hope it continues to work.

• Figgis

Commodore_1995# @Puraw

I spoke too soon. The Touchpad worked for about 2 hours and then stopped working.

I will be back to the Acer Support Centre tomorrow. My mood is at a very low ebb. I just want this saga to end.

• Can you tell me the bios version?

Press ctrl+s in the main bios tab and change the touchpad function:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Figgis

The Bios device is 12C HID.

When I check the BIOS how do I take a screenshot of it to post? I always use the Snipping Tool.

I spoke to Acer Support earlier and I have to return the Laptop to them for investigations and repair- hopefully. I need to do backups of my stuff and of the profiles so I can return to normal operation shortly after receiving it back.

• Figgis
    edited September 26

@Purow said

"Hi, boot to Safe Mode and if the touchpad is not working you probably have a hardware issue, either the eDP cable or the touchpad need replacing, these are not expensive items. There are also external USB keyboards with touchpads"

I restarted in Safe Mode as your instruction, and the touchpad is now working. That is good news and I wonder why Acer Support did not ask me to do it. So, if it's not a hardware problem where does that leave me. I thought we had tried everything including Reset PC and downloading and the next step was going to be return the laptop for assessment and repair.

Do you have any other ideas?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

30 mins later, the Touchpad stopped working. In your expert opinion, what does that indicate?

• Figgis
    edited September 26

Touchpad is working again - without any help. I was using the mouse and then I realised the TP was working again. Intermittent faults are a trial and I do not know what else to do.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A few mins later it's stopped working again.

• Puraw

Hi, the random behavior of your TP does point to hardware, replacing a TP is not expensive, I recommend bringing the laptop to Acer Services to check the TP cable connection. This laptop is 4 years old and TP, like a mouse or other mechanical parts can be expected to fail after 4-5 years.

• Figgis
    edited 12:05AM

The laptop is nearly 2 years old and I bought it new direct from Acer. It came with a 3 year warranty and I bought an additional year for a low fee. My reasoning was if it lasted 4 years I would be happy. There is no Acer Services near me so It will go by courier and I was told it is usually a 2 week job. I don't know what I will do without it. I'm addicted. I hope it is back and in working order soon as my right arm is aching from using the mouse.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't finished setting up the Laptop after the disastrous Reset. Things like Defaults challenge my lack of knowledge. I don't remember them being a problem before this issue with the laptop.

• Puraw

Hi, the first Acer Aspire 5 A515-56 was launched in October 2020 and on October 6, 2021, with an Intel Core i5-1135G7, if you have the 2021 1135G7 CPU you try to get it repaired under warranty.