Aspire A514-54 fan always on/overheating when browsing or watching videos.

m_aspire514
m_aspire514 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 10 in Aspire Laptops

Hello everyone,

I have this laptop for just over an year with the i5-1135G7 and noticed the fan is (annoyingly) on when browsing or watching videos. Aida64 + hwinfo showed no thermal throttling, but was power limited at 15w with CPU temps around 82-86C.

I opened to clean/repaste and noticed the southbridge or chipset (not sure what this is on tiger lake attached) wasn't covered at all! I mean, the heatsink doesn't even touch that chip...

Applied good thermal grizzly stuff and attempt to add a big blob for that chip that was missing, my temps got higher now ( 85-90C) but I also see higher clocks and power limit of 28w..

I am wondering if trying to repaste again, leaving that other chip alone like it was, would help? maybe now that I added it to the loop the heatsink can`t handle both… anyone w experience on this?

that the fan is always on,

Thanks!

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,840 Trailblazer
    edited September 10 Answer ✓

The thermal module fan doesn't come on for nothing, and a chipset chip does get hot and you putting paste and making sure that the thermal module covers the chipset fully and makes contact with it, won't increase temps, as its a good practice to have all chipset chips cooled down or just putting a thermal pad material on top of the chipset to dissipate heat, so you did the right thing.

If the laptop fan is coming on continually at those temps like 82-86c then the laptop thermals are doing their job of cooling the laptop down, remember that the Aspire A514-54 is not a gaming laptop and its small thermal module and just one fan doesn't really exude top end cooling 😀so be aware of all this, as that is the behavior of this laptop at its 80C plus temps (see captions below0.

This laptops fan is made to come on at the below temps and run at those speeds and this is the behavior of your Aspire A514-54 model laptop. To reduce heat, buy a laptop tablet cooler that will assist in the crossflow ventilation of your laptop, as it will keep your laptop above the desktop and all its vents clear and its vents will be pumped with fresh air, which will greatly assist in the crossflow ventilation and make your laptop run cooler. Good luck and hope this helps you out further and makes you understand the specs of your laptop.

This service guide chart is the CPU and its integrated graphics temps to what the fan rpm speed run at and what you should expect your Aspire A5154-54 laptop to run at and the dBA noise levels. So at temps of 82-86c you should expect the fan dBA to be at around 40 minus noise level.

Just some noise level facts, as you are in the "Normal people range" as @ 40 dB sound levels are too loud, as 30 dB is the prescribed noise level for sleep. However, some people are light sleepers and may even be bothered by noise levels as low as 30 dB, so be aware as everything is relevant👍

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,624 Trailblazer

Hi, this 3-year-old laptop may require a new fan, I would send it to Acer Services in your country for a proper cleaning job and to check the fan (not expensive to replace), I don't think the "blob" you put on the RAM controller did any good.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,840 Trailblazer
    edited September 10 Answer ✓

The thermal module fan doesn't come on for nothing, and a chipset chip does get hot and you putting paste and making sure that the thermal module covers the chipset fully and makes contact with it, won't increase temps, as its a good practice to have all chipset chips cooled down or just putting a thermal pad material on top of the chipset to dissipate heat, so you did the right thing.

If the laptop fan is coming on continually at those temps like 82-86c then the laptop thermals are doing their job of cooling the laptop down, remember that the Aspire A514-54 is not a gaming laptop and its small thermal module and just one fan doesn't really exude top end cooling 😀so be aware of all this, as that is the behavior of this laptop at its 80C plus temps (see captions below0.

This laptops fan is made to come on at the below temps and run at those speeds and this is the behavior of your Aspire A514-54 model laptop. To reduce heat, buy a laptop tablet cooler that will assist in the crossflow ventilation of your laptop, as it will keep your laptop above the desktop and all its vents clear and its vents will be pumped with fresh air, which will greatly assist in the crossflow ventilation and make your laptop run cooler. Good luck and hope this helps you out further and makes you understand the specs of your laptop.

This service guide chart is the CPU and its integrated graphics temps to what the fan rpm speed run at and what you should expect your Aspire A5154-54 laptop to run at and the dBA noise levels. So at temps of 82-86c you should expect the fan dBA to be at around 40 minus noise level.

Just some noise level facts, as you are in the "Normal people range" as @ 40 dB sound levels are too loud, as 30 dB is the prescribed noise level for sleep. However, some people are light sleepers and may even be bothered by noise levels as low as 30 dB, so be aware as everything is relevant👍

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• m_aspire514
    m_aspire514 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 10

Its 1 year old… and I did clean the old paste / dust between the fins, nothing else to clean there idk what you mean by cleaning it properly..? the fan seems to be working as it should per Steven reply… the memory controller as far as I know is integrated in the cpu itself not in that other chip.

I would think in replacing the heatsink as 1st option.

Thanks a ton! this table helps a lot as there's no fan speed sensor to monitor… yes at first I thought I made it worst but since the PL /clocks are going higher, it seems to be happier besides same temps…

Do you think I could adapt another (better) heatsink on it? maybe from a similar model w better specs/cooling… I like this laptop as it can perform all my tasks and is simple/light to carry around, but this cooling noise is really annoying…