Low Profile GPU & Power supply options for Aspire XC-1660

FlamingGizka
FlamingGizka Member Posts: 2 New User

I've recently bought an Aspire XC-1660. I haven't owned or tinkered with a desktop in over 8 years so am looking for some advice as to whether I'm on the right track or if I've missed something.

It's got an intel i5-11400, came with 8gb ram and a 1tb HDD along with an m.2 wireless card, the power supply is 300w.

Upgrading the RAM (2x16gb) and fitting it with an m.2 NVME were both relatively painless.

Following these upgrades I'm now more than happy with how it's running for day to day tasks. Although it seems like I am going to have to think about graphics cards. I'm not looking to play AAA games on ultra 4k, but I'd like to be able to play most stuff at a steady frame rate and as a bonus be able to play some stuff on my Meta Quest2.

Being SFF I realise I'm limited for choice without major modifications, I also have realised I know very little about GPUs.

Here's what I've been able to narrow it down to -

GTX 1650 4gb low profile - seems to be the popular option, prices seem to be upwards of £150 and I'm worried that long term this isn't a viable option.

RX 6400 - I've seen suggested, but with PCIE 4.0x4 it seems this card is massively throttled by the aspires PCIE 3.0 motherboard. A 350watt psu is also recommended.

RTX A2000 6gb - Seems like a great choice, apart from even used ones seem to cost upwards of £250.

RTX 3050 6gb low profile - at just under £200 new this seems like it might be a viable option, although it seems like a lot of people feel like it's not a good choice.

RTX 4060 8gb low profile - I can't find a better option performance wise, £300 is expensive though and it requires a 450w psu.

Intel ARC a380 6gb low profile - There a few versions of this card requiring between 300-450w psu. They are cheap though at £100-£140 and from what I can tell are on par if not superior to the GTX 1650.

From what I can tell this 500w PSU - FSP500-20TGBAB https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285796186415 is the easiest way to upgrade my existing power supply, its dimensions are the same as my existing psu and has the correct leads for the motherboard whilst also giving the required 8pin that some of the above graphics cards require. Prices do seem to be all over the place £50-£130, this example being in the middle of what I've found so far.

I hope all of that makes sense, does anyone here have experience with any of these gpus and has anyone upgraded their psu? Are there any options that I've missed?

Thank you very much if you've read through all this, I'm a little out of my depth here so any advice or thoughts are welcome. Please also let me know if I've missed anything or if you need any other information about my setup.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You have to remember that the XC-1660 mainboard has a proprietary Acer 300W PSU that has a specific 1x ATX_POWER-6-pin ATX power connector and a 1x ATX_12V-Auxiliary 8-pin power connector like shown below.

Aspire XC-1660 mainboard power plugs

With the new PSU, you need to match those power plug pins when you do an upgrade of the PSU like to the "Acer 500W Switching Power Supply 8PIN (6Pin+2PIN) FSP500-20TGBAB" from eBay, the 6pin will suffice for the mainboard power and the 8pin auxiliary will be for the gpu power, so that 500 W PSU looks like its a good upgrade if it will fit into the XC-1660 desktop case. I would fit the RTX3050 6GB Low Profile GPU that only requires a min 250W PSU as that type of a GPU is a perfect addition to balance the TC-1660 components with a good graphics card and give you additional performance for gaming. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

eBay 500W Acer PSU plugs

Check the size also if this new 500W PSU will fit into the XC-1660 desktops case

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓

You have to remember that the XC-1660 mainboard has a proprietary Acer 300W PSU that has a specific 1x ATX_POWER-6-pin ATX power connector and a 1x ATX_12V-Auxiliary 8-pin power connector like shown below.

Aspire XC-1660 mainboard power plugs

With the new PSU, you need to match those power plug pins when you do an upgrade of the PSU like to the "Acer 500W Switching Power Supply 8PIN (6Pin+2PIN) FSP500-20TGBAB" from eBay, the 6pin will suffice for the mainboard power and the 8pin auxiliary will be for the gpu power, so that 500 W PSU looks like its a good upgrade if it will fit into the XC-1660 desktop case. I would fit the RTX3050 6GB Low Profile GPU that only requires a min 250W PSU as that type of a GPU is a perfect addition to balance the TC-1660 components with a good graphics card and give you additional performance for gaming. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

eBay 500W Acer PSU plugs

Check the size also if this new 500W PSU will fit into the XC-1660 desktops case

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer

I'd likely go with a 1650, 1660, 3050 or 3060 on this system. Any of those will work even long term.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FlamingGizka
    FlamingGizka Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I've just managed to find a new 3050 lp on sale for £150 so I'm going to go with that for now like you suggest.

That psu has exactly the same dimensions as my current one, I'll keep it in mind for the future. Are there any benefits to upgrading the power supply other than allowing a more powerful gpu?

The XC-1660 will only fit a low profile card, I don't think the 1660 or 3060 will fit.

• StevenGen

Glad to help you out and I hope our answers have been of help. with having a higher PSU, The only advantage of having a higher power PSU is are the following:

1. Account for Power Spikes: Power spikes can occur when your components require a sudden surge of power, such as during intensive tasks or when starting up.

2. Future-Proofing: Investing in a PSU with extra wattage can help future-proof your system.

3. Efficiency and Cooling: Operating a PSU near its maximum capacity can lead to decreased efficiency and increased heat generation.