Wi-Fi connection continues to be lost in 2024 on Acer Aspire 5 A515-57-727C series

vcoroa
vcoroa Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited August 2 in Aspire Laptops

i have Acer Aspire 5 A515-57-727C model and i see that this is a recurring problem with the brand since years ago, the same recurring problem with Mediatek, my driver is 3.0.1.1300 from 02/24/2022, which seems to be the most updated on the Acer driver website, which Can I do this so that I don't have to go to court to return the laptop?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,522 Trailblazer
    edited June 26

The latest working Wi-Fi driver for the MTKMT7921 card is the MTX - Wireless LAN Driver(MT7921LE) version 3.0.1.1300 is dated 2023/11/03 NOT 02/24/2022, so try the above Acer link driver, I’ve got virtually the same laptop the Aspire A515-57-56UV and my laptop has the MTK MT7921 card like yours with the exact above driver and its worked perfectly without any problems since new and I've never ever had any Wi-Fi or BT problems.

You must have a faulty MTK MT7921 card if the same card is giving you problems, what I suggest is that you either refresh the Wi-Fi driver or completely uninstall the MTK driver and then do a fresh clean reinstall of the driver and see if that works better. If it doesn't work, then change the card to the Intel cards listed below that Acer also fits to the Aspire A515-57 laptops, as they should work 100% with your A515-57-727C laptop. Good luck

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,798 Guru

Hi,

The current driver version for MediaTek MT7921 WLAN Card available in Microsoft Catalog is 3.3.0.972. If Wi-Fi disconnect issue persists, try set Roaming Aggressiveness = Lowest.

É hora de dizer adeus ao Windows 11! 🤢🤮👎🏻 Linux Zorin e Mint, aí vou eu...🫡🫣

• StevenGen
    edited June 27

You need to also update the bios to the last bios for this laptop which is the version 1.27 as version 1.19 has a fix for "1. Update for Winfi 6E setting." which should fix the Wi-Fi problem.

The driver that you are suggesting and have a link to for the MTK MT7921 WLAN card version 3.3.0.972 cabinet file does not install without unpacking to the A515-57 laptop, you should explain how to install a cabinet driver for community members before you suggest any drivers on this forum as they could cause more damage than assist anything, as I've got this laptop, and I've tried your driver, and it doesn't install at all. The best driver for the MTK MT7921LM card is the above Acer recommended driver version 3.0.1.1300.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• eGomes
    edited June 26

Use 7-Zip to extract this .CAB file in a temporary folder and update manually under Device Manager (devmgmt.msc).

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

I tried to uninstall and install this driver directly, it doesn't install the clean installation at all, when I try to update the driver, I get this message that windows recognizes the current driver as the best driver for laptop, why is it so difficult to install something like this?

• madbrain
    madbrain Member Posts: 3 New User

I am experiencing the same issue as well

• eGomes
    edited June 26

Just for clarification purposes and ensure that I take due care "before suggesting something":

1. The (.CAB) file is genuine and available for download from the Microsoft Catalog;
    2. I have an Aspire 5 A515-45G which uses the MediaTek MT7921 wireless controller;
    3. I tested several versions available, and I can guarantee that it works! I'm currently testing version 24.34.2.570.
    4. If anyone still has any doubts about what I'm talking about, here are some screenshots to prove it:

• StevenGen

Your above explanation is what I was eluding to eGomes in my initial answer to you, as allot of community members do not know how to unpack a (.CAB) file (which btw I know how to) so I wanted you to explain your answer of how to unpack a (.CAB) file. As imo the best answer to any post is to explain whatever you post as that is what community members want, like you did above 👍😀 cheers.

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

I installed this version from the link recommended by you, which is from Microsoft itself, I'll wait to see if it stops the errors

• eGomes

@vcoroa,

You can also update the MediaTek Bluetooth controller driver with the version 1.1037.0.412.

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

@eGomes
    I installed the one I mentioned above, and the problem stopped happening only visually (wifi disappeared) but the connection continued to drop even though I was connected to wifi, I don't know what else to do.

• eGomes

Hi,

WiFi drops can be caused by a number of reasons!

Try to check that the WLAN channel your router is using isn't experiencing congestion problems. Also, see if there are any other radio frequency devices nearby that could be causing interference in your wireless connection.

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

I already checked, but that's not it, I have 3 laptops on the table, 2 smartphones, a TV with Android, the other 2 laptops still connect to the corporate VPN, only this laptop, which is new to the this router, shows the behavior as well as all the reports in YouTube videos and internet forums, a desperate situation, I've already made all the adjustments to the router to minimize the problem, remembering that none of these adjustments were necessary for all the devices that access this router, which is very basic and has always served all devices, it's hard to believe that it's something with the router.

I think the most prudent thing is to open a formal complaint due to manufacturing or assembly failure or defects and return it since the defect is not just me. Imagine dummy users who have already bought laptops from other brands and rarely have this type of problem, and end up having this problem only with these Acers, and it is a problem with the brand and the choice adopted for wireless adapters, because just research and the problem It extends to nitro models as well.

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

It even happens so frequently that it's easy to take evidence, it happened while I was answering. Note that with the driver update, the wifi remains on, even so, no connection.

• eGomes

@vcoroa,

Yep, MT7921 wireless cards are problematics!

But, another possibility is that one of the pigtail cables has come loose from the U.FL connector on the PCIe M.2 card.

I think it would be interesting to inspect these connectors before opening a support ticket.

• eGomes

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED it may be related to problems with your connection's DNS servers!

Try reset DNS cache and also doing a test with another one, for example: Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, CloudFlare.

Check also, if firmware UEFI / BIOS of your Aspire 5 A515-57 is updated with latest version available (1.27):

https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support/Aspire_A515-57/downloads?suggest=A515-57;0

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

Has anyone found a solution yet? The problem is so bizarre that when the Wi-Fi controller goes into a bug state, you can't even activate/deactivate Wi-Fi properly to try to restart the connection, it practically freezes the entire notebook.

@eGomes, my Friend, it's not a problem with the router, the laptop becomes practically inoperative when the bug comes and goes. Depending on which option below you leave selected, the bug happens more or less frequently, the one that happens less frequently is the last option, but it still happens, and the last option drastically limits the speed, with the first options the speed test reaches 300 mb/s while the last one is limited to 10 to 20 mb/s. all other devices work without any problems.

• eGomes

In this case, all that's left to do is to check that a pigtail cable hasn't come loose from the U.FL connectors on the PCIe M.2 card, or to replace the Wi-Fi card.

• vcoroa

Tinkerer

same problem with your driver version in use.

There is no chance I can replace anything, the laptop is new, I will complain to Asus or ask for my money back.