Can I replace the power supply and buy a bigger case for my Acer Veriton X2665G

Malcoco
Malcoco Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I have an Acer Veriton VX2655G and I want to buy a gpu for it, but I am lacking in PSU and space in the case, can i buy a different power supply and a bigger case? and still keep the motherboard?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,640 Trailblazer

Veriton X2665G maybe? I don't find a Veriton X2655G model.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Malcoco
    Malcoco Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Oh yeah my bad, it's an Acer Veriton X2665G with i5 9400 and 8gb ram

• billsey

Acer is having issues with some of their web portals this week, while almost everyone is on vacation. I can't bring up the service guide for it. It's a mid sized tower case though but IIRC they used somewhat of a custom motherboard and the smaller flex power supply on them. I should be able to look it up next week sometime if you remind me…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OJEE
    OJEE Member Posts: 2 New User

Is there an update on this? I need the answer as well. Thank you.

• billsey

Sure, here's the motherboard layout:

It's an almost normal uATX form factor, but notice those ports loaded at the front (1-4)? Those are the ports for the front panel, and they aren't on wires like typical uATX MBs. That means that a different case will either require a lot of creative cabling or not bring the front ports out to use. The second big issue is the power supply. It uses an ATX12VO supply in a Flex form factor. Most third party cases expect an ATX sized supply instead, and most third party supplies don't match the 12VO spec.

• OJEE
    OJEE Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you for the response. This helps me a lot. May I ask if the problem with the power supply will be resolved if I buy a new one?

• billsey

The power supply used in these models is a smaller form factor than normal, to support the smaller case. Acer shipped them with two different sizes of PSUs (180W and 250W), depending on whether they had a discrete GPU or not. Here are the part numbers for them:

These are all 12VO supplies, so provide 12V power only to the motherboard, in two connectors, a 6 pin and a 4 pin. To put this motherboard in a different case you will likely have to also put a 12VO power supply in, since most third party cases use an ATX form factor instead of the Flex. 12VO power supplies are tough to find on the secondary market, but we can get you part numbers for Acer supplies that will fit third party cases.

Often it's easier to just go with a different new system that has the extra size and expansion capability than to mod these designs. They were really designed for the low end, small form factor market, not for expandability or gaming.