CB715-1W-30JY Acer Chromebook C715 not charging

Options
andrei172747
andrei172747 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 24 in Chromebooks

my chromebook isnt charging and the original charger isnt working, when i try charging with a phone cable(keep in mind the chromebook has type c charging port) the red light stays on for a bit then it starts flashing, can someone please help me?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,420 Trailblazer
    Options

I don't find any reference for a C715 model, could it be a CB715? Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. Typically laptops need more power than a phone charger can provide.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options
    CB715-1W-30JY or something like that, it has 8gb ram i3-8150u 128gb emmc

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options

so, I am updating my problem a bit, the original charger isn't working with the laptop but it is working with other devices such as my earbuds or a different phone, the only way I can charge this laptop at the moment is by using 2 type c charging cables and that is still not enough, the original charger is working but not with the laptop for some reason

• billsey
    Options

So I have found on my USB-C charged laptops that the plug needs to have just a little bit of tension when in the socket to get good contact. I do that by giving it a half twist when it's plugged in. Your system wants 45W of charging, and the phone type chargers are typically 10-15W, so that would make sense that you need two of them to do much of anything. Try using the stock charger with a twist on the cable to see if that helps.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options

ima try this, if it doesnt work im getting a new charger tomorrow

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    Options

Let us know how well the new one works.

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options

bought a new charger the laptop isnt charging, should i just give up and buy a new laptop

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options
  • billsey
    Options

I assume you have tested on both sides? There almost has to be something wrong with the charging circuit, except that you said you could charge by connecting two phone chargers… I'm stumped.

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options

maybe its the laptop not accepting the required amount of wattage? last time I charged the laptop with the original charger was 1 month ago and it still didnt charge correctly, before i charged it that time no ports were working as well and idk what i did to make it work tbh lol

• billsey
    Options

I can't image any scenario where it would accept a 10W or 15W charge, but not a 45W, 65W or 100W charge. I admit I'm not deep into charging circuits, but… I wonder if it might be a voltage thing? The stock charger, and any charger that outputs enough current, is going to do it at 20V, the phone chargers are at 5V.

• andrei172747

Tinkerer

Options

the new charger is the same as the old one in terms of amperage, voltage and wattage and it still doesnt work