Acer Nitro AN515-54 CPU Overheating.

Nordim
Nordim Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hello all.

I have been using my Acer Nitro AN515-54 laptop since 3 years but i haven't been able to use the on board keyboard directly (since it burns my fingertips off with Nitro's 90+ degree internal temperatures :) ) And i have never been able to use my computer at full speed like 3.94 Ghz.

Even though i have re-pasted my chips on the motherboard and place the thermal pads. The temperatures don't fall from 90+ on load and in idle when i use Throttlestop and disable turbo it finally hangs out in 69-90 degrees.

Please don't tell me that this computer's cpu can easily withhold the 90+ temperatures, because it is not in long run.

I was wondering does any one of you were able to fix this issue.

Things i have done so far are:

• Undervolting.
  • Cleaning & repasting
  • Renewing thermal pads.
  • BIOS update.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best Answer

Answers

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,798 Guru
    edited June 18

Hi @Nordim,

One suspicion would be that the coolant liquid of the refrigeration system (heat pipes) of your Nitro AN515-54 has leaked:

É hora de dizer adeus ao Windows 11! 🤢🤮👎🏻 Linux Zorin e Mint, aí vou eu...🫡🫣

• Nordim

Tinkerer

Hi @eGomes,

What coolant liquid? I don't think there is a coolant liquid in this system.

Thank you for your answer though.

• eGomes
    edited June 18

Yes, the heatpipes in your laptop's cooling system are filled with a coolant fluid that helps transfer heat! Perhaps this video will help clear up your doubts about how they work:

• Nordim

Tinkerer

Wouldn't a possible leakage could cause hardware failure or some sort of residue to form on the motherboard though?

So let's say, problem caused by the coolant liquid in the heat pipes, what whould be the possible solution?

And i think this overheating problem is a recurring problem in Nitro 5 series. Are all of them missing the same liquid?

• eGomes

Usually, when leaks occur this fluid evaporates (can leave some "stains" on the heatsink or PCB).

I've had a similar case myself with an old Acer and HP laptop, which were experiencing CPU overheating problem. Considering all the procedures you've already carried out, it's possible that your laptop's cooling system has lost its effectiveness.

• Nordim

Tinkerer

Is there a way to replace this?

• eGomes
    edited June 18

In these cases, the only solution is to replace the cooler. Wait a little longer and perhaps ours colleagues who have access to Acer's service manuals will be able to confirm the part number (FRU) for you.

• Nordim

Tinkerer

Thank you for your time. I will be waiting.

• eGomes
    Answer ✓