GPU fan for Acer Nitro AN515-58-57Y8 making scratching noise - Need a replacement or lubrication?

jhdepoiii
jhdepoiii Member Posts: 3 New User
edited May 23 in Nitro Gaming

My GPU fan has started getting a scratching sound. I'm not sure if that means the bearing is worn out or what. I already opened the laptop, there is virtually no dust and I can hear the scratching if I manually rotate the fan.

I have only been able to find the exact fan on one website and I am unsure if I really need it to be exact.

What is currently installed is a Delta NS8CC19 21G11 DC12V 1.0A DC280010WD fan. It reaches about 7317 rpm max. I have only found this specific fan at AliExpress

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804480929175.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

I don't use the laptop heavily, so I shouldn't need that amount of RPM but I would still like to replace the fan with as close as I can. Anything I can find on Ebay or Amazon for Nitro An515-58 seem to be much less RPM and from different manufacturers.

I have never done so, but I am willing to try opening the fan and trying to apply oil to it before buying a replacement. But I am also unsure how to do it.

I have attached a video with the sound and a picture of the GPU fan.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,512 Trailblazer
    edited May 24 Answer ✓

Unfortunately, some components that are fitted to these gaming laptops are of inferior quality and they do go wrong and need to be replaced. Your AN515-58 fan has a faulty blade shaft bearing and that is why its making that noise and it also does it when you manually spin the fan blades then the fan shaft is damaged, and it needs replacing.

Acer does list the fans that they fit to the Nitro AN515-58 laptop and they are the following below, but if your fan is the Delta NS8CC19 21G11 DC12V 1.0A and you have found a new pair on AliExpress then I would buy those as they would be cheaper than a genuine Acer part number fan(s). Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

Acer listed oem listed gpu/cpu fans

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited May 24 Answer ✓

Unfortunately, some components that are fitted to these gaming laptops are of inferior quality and they do go wrong and need to be replaced. Your AN515-58 fan has a faulty blade shaft bearing and that is why its making that noise and it also does it when you manually spin the fan blades then the fan shaft is damaged, and it needs replacing.

Acer does list the fans that they fit to the Nitro AN515-58 laptop and they are the following below, but if your fan is the Delta NS8CC19 21G11 DC12V 1.0A and you have found a new pair on AliExpress then I would buy those as they would be cheaper than a genuine Acer part number fan(s). Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

Acer listed oem listed gpu/cpu fans

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• jhdepoiii

Where did you find those AcerPNs? I cannot find anything like that in any documentation I have found for the Nitro 5 AN515-58.

• StevenGen

The fans captions and Acer S/N above are from the Acer service guide of the Nitro AN515-58 laptop which ranked community members have access to, you will not find this information anywhere as its only in the official Acer service guides for their products. But in your case Use the exact oem Delta fans that was inside your laptop as that is the correct fan or if you intend using the Acer P/N then search those part numbers online as there are retailers that sell the genuine Acer fans.

• jhdepoiii

I wound up opening the fan and found some weird gunk in it around the inside between the shaft and the blades. Took awhile to get it out, then I lubricated the shaft with some oil then put it back in. Haven't heard the noise since. I did buy a backup fan just in case.

• StevenGen

If it works then its ok for a while but be aware that lubricating the fan shaft with oil is not a permanent solution, as the fan shaft is lubricating with a special dry lubricant like a carbon synthetic lubricant that lasts forever for these fans, as oil fails after a while and the fan shaft will be back to where it was before in your laptop and you will have to replace the fan and also it will not disperse heat as well lubricated fan and increase component temps. Best is to replace these fans as they are critical to keeping the cpu and gpu cool.