What ram for Aspire 5, A515-56-50TS, N20C5

bunyips
bunyips Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hello,

I am trying to maximise my Ram in my Aspire 5.

Under performance in task manager is says 7.8gb 2667mhz, 2 of 2 slots SODIMM.

When I look under Administrator Command Prompt is tells me 3200Mhz. I have added screenshots of all this information and hope someone can tell me what it is I need to pay for. I understand it is critical for me to get the correct module to match the module that is soldered (if I have a soldered Ram of 4 gb) and to purchase the correct 16gb ram to match it so I can have a dual channel operation.

Any help greatly appreciated. I cannot find this specific model laptop on any of the normal RAM sites and find conflicting advice on forums and websites i have been visiting.

Thank you,

Bunyips

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,166 Trailblazer
    edited March 27

You have 4GB onboard memory (soldered) and 4GB in the slot for removable memory, you can install up to 16GB RAM in removable RAM slot to make the total memory of 20GB. Replace the 4GB module with a 16GB module with same speed, CL and ranking. You may not get the 2667 MHz speed you have now as you are running in Dual Channel Mode with 2x4GB identical RAM modules, 20GB (1 x 4GB + 1x 16GB) will be running in Single Channel mode regardless of the 3200MHz modules the CPU maximum RAM speed is 2667MHz.

• bunyips

Tinkerer

Ok Thank you for the quick reply. How do I know which Ram module is the soldered one? They both have different part numbers? My understanding is that I can buy a 16gb module with the last 5 numbers of the part number the same and it will still operate as a dual channel. I just keep getting confusing information as to what I need to buy. I just want to get it right before spending $$ on it. Also the first Ram Module in Command Prompt has a serial number but the Second one does not. I will try to match the Ram module that is soldered for the best performance. Is that correct? Thank you

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,166 Trailblazer
    edited March 27

Only if you want to run Dual Channel at 8GB which is what you have now. You say you want more RAM but that won't run in Dual Channel Mode as you cannot change the soldered RAM module. Just open the laptop and copy the speed, brand and CL of the module in the removable slot, get either a 8GB or 16GB module. You will have to open the laptop anyway to replace the RAM, get a proper screwdriver for the 11 screws and don't tighten the screws too much as they strip easily, or the small bottom brass thread inserts may part. The information you are getting is correct some SODIMMs with different sizes may run in Dual Channel Mode in some systems, try it. the RAM module in the removable slot is 100% compatible with the soldered RAM as the set is running in Dual Channel mode. To find the part number of only the soldered RAM, disconnect the battery cable and remove the Ram in the removable slot. Close the back and boot. Open the command prompt and paste this: wmic memorychip list full

• bunyips

Tinkerer

Thank you very much Puraw. That answered my questions pretty well.

• Brewster_42
    Brewster_42 Member Posts: 2 New User

The Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-50TS (model number N20C5) supports DDR4 RAM. Specifically, it supports up to 12 GB of DDR4 RAM, which typically comes in the form of a 4 GB soldered module onboard and an additional 8 GB module in the SO-DIMM slot.

• bunyips

Tinkerer

THanks for the confusion!

On the Acer website itself for the A515-56-50TS it says that the Ram is expandable to 24GB from the 8gb installed ram. The gentleman who answered above tells me that it is upgradable to 20 GB of Ram. I no longer have any idea what this Laptop is actually built to handle. 12 GB seems ridiculously low for this processor and price. Will keep trying to work out what I need to put in this thing to make it operate faster than a 2013 Macbook Air I still use as a backup. Without having to Reboot it three times a day…. lol

• Brewster_42
    Brewster_42 Member Posts: 2 New User

sorry bro it's my mistake.. https://liteblue.cloud