Nitro 5 AN515-54-54W2 Crisis Bios update problems. Laptop crashes with varied BSODs.

Answers

• ColinPAndrews
    ColinPAndrews Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter

Ok so, without power supply and the laptop sitting in the 1st page of the bios menu, it lasted 1hour on battery then turned off.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,792 Trailblazer

This and the Windows BSOD screen messages further re-confirms problem is UN-related to BIOS chip or its firmware. Windows wouldn't be able to display BSOD messages from the boot drive if BIOS had failed to initialize basic i/o hardware needed for Windows to start loading (keyboard, graphics, storage media, usb ports).

Plug the charger back in. Don't try to turn it on for at least 24 hours —- or until the charge LED stops flashing and changes from steady orange to steady blue —- whichever comes first.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Ok, so been plugged in constantly since 9am yesterday and its still blinking orange.

• JackE

Ok so, without power supply and the laptop sitting in the 1st page of the bios menu, it lasted 1hour on battery then turned off.> >Ok, so been plugged in constantly since 9am yesterday and its still blinking orange.

If it turns on unplugged, how long does it last in the BIOS menu now?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Wont power up at all now, pressing the power button with the battery unplugged does nothing, power plugged back in and it will switch on.

• JackE

If you can get a clear view of the motherboard around the RAM sockets outlined in blue below, can you find a small spring loaded push button switch?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews
  • ColinPAndrews

Ignore the last post I should have been paying more attention and less playing Icarus… anyways… the button is the pink highlighted button… not the orange one😃

• ColinPAndrews

Push button

• JackE

OK. Peer inside the bottom cover directly opposite the push button.

Do you see a pinhole in the cover? Or do you see a bump that might press against the push button when the bottom cover is re-assembled?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Unfortunately there is No pin hole or soft indent that would allow me to push that button with the back cover on. its pretty solid and there is a rear cover screw hole directly next to where is should be… I could always drill a tiny pin hole?

• JackE

NO!!! You don't push the button. The bottom cover pushes the button as a safety interlock. It's a normally off button that must be depressed by the cover to turn it on and power/charge the mainboard/battery.

You see, if the bottom cover isn't fully tight or misaligned, the inside of the bottom cover will not press hard enough against the button to keep it in the on state and power/charge to the mainboard/battery.

Try taping a spacer in the inside of the bottom cover directly opposite the button. So when assembled the bottom cover will push harder against the button to keep the mainboard/battery powered/charged. Alternatively, you can tape the space to the button itself if more convenient.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

ER…. are you saying I should have had the cover on while charging the battery and testing the laptop??? 🙄

• JackE

YES!!!!! The normally-off safety interlock switch cuts all power if the covers are not properly affixed.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Aha.. oops.. Ok, so I've placed 2 small pieces of tape over the push button switch and returned the back cover and screwed it down. Plugged the power supply back in. Guess I should let it try and charge up now.

• ColinPAndrews

It's been on charge for over 24 hours and the orange light is still blinking. i pulled the power cable out and tried turning it on, and nothing… should i try another piece of tape? There is no way to tell if the button is being pushed down by the case.

• JackE

As a brief test, you can manually/momentarily press the button with the bottom cover off to see if the LED turns steady orange instead of blinking when plugged in. Use a piece of plastic to depress the button so as to avoid touching any other part of the electrically live mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,532 Trailblazer
    edited February 6

Do a Hard Reset of your laptop, take the main battery out, disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery (see below) and then shorts its +&- pins at the mainboard plug, then take the ram out, leave your laptop like that for 24hrs as this will reset the EC, BIOS and Chipset chips, then reconnect everything with only 1x ram module and see if the laptop boots and charges and do that alternatively with the 2x ram sticks, as it could be a faulty ram module also.

If all the above doesn't fix the problem, then you have a problem in the main power or charging circuitries of your Nitro AN515-54 laptop that you need to take your laptop to an experienced technician who can analyze and fix this problem, as a reset or anything that you do will not fix your laptop. if you are lucky then its a capacitor or a resistor that has shorted/blown but if its a mosat that regulates power to the cpu or gpu you could have major problems especially if your cpu has shorted, as you will need a new mainboard. Good luck and hope this helps you out

Nitro AN515-54 RTC/BIOS Battery

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• ColinPAndrews

Thanks for all the help and ideas you have given me. I took it to a pc repair place today, as its now beyond my scope. will see what happens.. thanks again.

• JackE
    edited February 7

Did you get to try the brief test with the bottom cover off and a piece of plastic to press the button that I mentioned earlier yesterday?

Jack E/NJ