Nitro 5 AN515-54-54W2 Crisis Bios update problems. Laptop crashes with varied BSODs.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,792 Trailblazer

Looks OK. You can test both RAM sockets that way. Good luck again.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews
    ColinPAndrews Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter

Annnnd… NO. Dang it. That didn't work either.. tried both sticks of 4g ram and then each 4gb on its own it both different slots, each time it will let me boot from the USB install media but as its starting to load it throws various BSODS. I even tried re-formatting the USB drives and installing the win 10 and win 11 on again to be sure, but same problems with both os and both drives. Could it really be because the battery is dead, or is that just wishful thinking and buying one is going to be a waste of money and disappointment even at $36 there is nothing else I can change out on this laptop… grrrrrr

• t Intente realizar este procedimiento :

1 Disconnect the battery and then disconnect the new SSD.

2 Turn on the computer, press windows+r, type msconfig, go to system startup and activate safeboot.

3 Access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl+s and change sata mode to ahci.

4 Windows will start in safe mode.

5 Turn off your computer, disconnect the battery and connect the SSD again.

6 Windows should recognize the new SSD in safe mode.

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE

> >it will let me boot from the USB install media> > Could it really be because the battery is dead > >

I'm gonna guess absolutely maybe. Or maybe not. This is what nickel-dime troubleshooting is all about. 😂

And what do you mean by it letting you boot from the usb installation media? If it BSODs before the installation & troubleshooting menu appears, it's not booting.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

I ordered the dang battery 😁… So far, I have no drive with an OS currently on it, so I have a clean formatted SSD 2.5" which I've tried, and I have the M2 which I've tried and by way of try… I mean have them in the laptop and trying to install win 10 or 11 from a USB media installation thumb drive… does that make sense. sort of.. as the laptop starts to boot I hit F12 and get to choose the the drive (which I've tried in all the different usb slots) it will sit for a few seconds with little white circle spinnery thing😋 then throw a bsod of ramdomness… and then the initial Acer logo on black screen will appear and stay that will till I power of the laptop.. and start again..

• JackE

I've tried in all the different usb slots) it will sit for a few seconds
    with little white circle spinnery thing😋 then throw a bsod of
    ramdomness… and then the initial Acer logo on black screen will appear
    and stay that will till I power of the laptop.. and start again..

Do you recall about how many times the machine actually booted AFTER you removed the dead battery and ran on charger alone?

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,532 Trailblazer
    edited January 24

If you want to upgrade the Nitro AN515-54 to 32GB capacity ram you need to use the oem Acer fitted 16GB DDR4-3200MHz it has to be CL22 type ram which is the MICRON SO-DIMM DDRIV 3200 16GB - MTA16ATF2G64HZ-3G2J1 LF+HF 1024*8 Z21C - Acer part #: KN.16G04.013 or you look at a Crucial System Scan of the AN515-54 or do a scan of your laptop, as Crucial recommends a max 64GB total ram for this laptop by using their Crucial 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM - DDR4-3200 • CL=22 • NON-ECC • SODIMM • 260-pin • 1.2V • 2Rx8 • PC4-25600 type ram. Good luck.

Acer memory specs for the AN515-54 laptop:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• ColinPAndrews

Hmmmm when I had win 11 on it I still had the battery in it, albeit a dead battery. You know what, I don't think it has booted/loaded since battery removal, and I guess the battery being dead now even though its back in, would it make a difference to whether or not it would bsod? maybe.. guess I'll find out when the new one arrives Monday, fingers crossed. 😁

• JackE

would it make a difference to whether or not it would bsod? maybe..
    guess I'll find out when the new one arrives Monday, fingers crossed. 😁

You're my kind of perseverant guesser! 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Well, new battery is in and it's still doing the bsod. I followed the battery install method by initially starting laptop with power cord attached first and then with power cord plugged in but still bsods. Didn't have much time to mess with settings this morning so Ill try some more tomorrow but not looking good so far.

• JackE

Was it fully charged before you tried to turn it on?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

No, I don't believe it was, which I know cold be part of the problem.. haven't had the chance to get to it yet.. and didn't want to leave it plugged in when I wasn't home. The orange light flashes every second so I'm not sure if its taking a charge or not. I understand there s a battery reset I can do so I'll go research that up before going any further. Just got home and plugged in and see what it does for a couple of hours.

• ColinPAndrews

Just ordered a new charger pack, just in case the power pack isn't supplying enough power to the battery and that's why it died in the first place, that should be here Thursday…

• JackE

> >The orange light flashes every second so I'm not sure if its taking a charge or not.> >

If the orange doesn't stop flashing after about 24hrs plugged in, there's a problem with either the new battery pack, charger or mainboard regulator. We can then do some tests to try to narrow it down.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

OK, so new power supply arrived and has been plugged in, the laptop is still blinking orange every second-ish. shall I leave it plugged in over night? or are there some test worth doing already? Thanks again for your help.

• JackE

How long has it been off and plugged in so far?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

With the new power supply (which was delivered today) only a couple of hours, with the old power supply around 6+ hours.

• JackE

A flashing charge LED means little or no charging.

If you unplug the charger, does it turn on or does the new battery seem flat?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

If I unplug the power supply, the lap top does switch on and works via battery power and has a solid blue light until I power it down (but I have no idea how much charge is in the battery. I tried running the boot from media install usb thumb drive again, and starts to load then a few seconds in Bsod again.

• JackE

The solid blue LED is the power indicator without the charger, not the battery charge LED indicator.

With the charger still unplugged, is the laptop stable if left running in the BIOS menu?

Jack E/NJ