Nitro 5 AN515-54-54W2 Crisis Bios update problems. Laptop crashes with varied BSODs.

ColinPAndrews
ColinPAndrews Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter
edited January 8 in Nitro Gaming

Hi.

I am trying to Update my Nitro 5 AN515-54-54W2 MFG 03/30/2019 Version 1.01 Bios file with the latest 1.33

Reason:

The laptop crashes with varied BSODs before windows can be installed onto an SSD (Not NMVE)

Tried so Far:

I have tried to install windows 11 '23H2' on various drives new and used. I have even formatted these drives on another PC and tested them and they work fine with no problems. unfortunately I don't have a current NVME to test.

I know that I shouldn't be trying a BIOS update because of BSODs but I have exhausted every other path including removing and replacing the ram, removing the battery, removing the cmos, resetting cmos battery, and pretty much everything else that's been mentioned in the these forums and others, this is 3 weeks of research and 27 currently open Firefox tabs.

So I'm back to basics before binning the laptop.

Oh, I did have a new windows 11 OS install running on it about up until 3 weeks ago but it still randomly threw BSODs such as but not limited to;

Stop code: PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA What failed: FLTMGR.SYS

Stop code: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL What failed: ntoskrnl.exe

Stop code: DRIVER_IRQL NOT LESS OR _EQUAL What failed: Waf01000.sys

Stop code: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Stop code: KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

Stop code: 0xc000021a

I have also tried the crisis bios update via downloading the new version of bios 1.33 from Acer, opening the EH50F133.exe with 7zip, Extracting the abobios.bin (17,795KB), renaming the file to BIOS.fd <That was found with the hex editor inside the file, and also tried EH50F133.fd.

After trying the FN+ESC and power on, The fans boot up full speed for around 5 seconds then turn off, the screen turns to an 'Acer' logo and then promptly to a 'No Bootable Device' Image where it will sit until I power the laptop down, with no update bios, still v1.01.

would appreciate any insight or help available.

Are any of my steps wrong?

What else can I do?

Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,792 Trailblazer

I know that I shouldn't be trying a BIOS update because of BSODs

Agreed. So stop trying already. 🙂 Please post a phone photo of the BIOS Information and Boot tabs if possible.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews
    edited January 7

I have stopped. For now😁 Did you a photo of all the individual tabs too?

[Edited the thread to hide sensitive content]

• JackE

Change the SATA mode to AHCI and turn on the F12 boot option in the BIOS MAIN tab. Then press F10 to save settings and exit. Press and hold power button to shut machine off. Insert the installation stick. Turn the machine back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key to bring up the USB boot menu. Try installing again.

FYI a Win11 warning. While the AN515-54 should run Win11, it may not run smoothly or be fully functional because proprietary Acer OEM device drivers have not yet been updated for Win11. We Acer users have no way of knowing when or even if the Win11 updates will be released for this model. So if you decide to install Win11 anyway, you'll have to keep checking the Acer driver downloads site for updates like the rest of us Acer users if you have any Win11 device issues.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Ok.. so, did everything in your post and got the first BSOD before even getting to the install screen, now that was with windows 11 install USB. I'm going to try windows 10 install USB next and see what happens.

So tried the same thing but with a windows 10 key and got BSOD before getting to the install screen. it just rebots and stops at the acer logo until I shut of the laptop.

I've also tried two Different USB keys both formatted to fat 32 should I try a different format for the usb thumb drives? I don't know, I'm at loss as what to do.. Thanks for you help BTW much appreciated.

• JackE
    edited January 6

> >>unfortunately I don't have a current NVME to test.> >

(1) What was the original factory installed operating system, if any?

(2) Did it come from the factory with an m.2 boot card as HDD0 or HDD1? If so, what happened to the card?

(3) This model usually isn't set up from the factory to boot from a 2.5" drive esp. as HDD2. Some mainboards will only boot from HDD0 or HDD1. Where did the PNY drive come from?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

The PNY is 250 2.5" SSD (upgrade, and never had a crash or problem with this drive, ever) from my old HP laptop that has since been binned (super super slow). I formatted the drive (not quick format) so I could use in this laptop temporarily until I can get the BSODs sorted then I was going to upgrade the to a 1TB M2

The old OS was windows 10 on a 250GB M2 which I gave to my son for his small gaming rig (can't get that back).

I think the laptop threw a few BSODs when that original 250 M2 drive was used and that was the main reason for going the route I'm going. I had windows 11 running for almost a week so I know it will boot from the current 2.5 SSD but it took a few goes trying to get it installed and it would still drop some BSODs during install and after, but it 'seemed' a lot more stable when it was finished. (Perhaps I should have checked drivers in the device manager to make sure everything was good when I had the chance, and that's the stage where I've been trying to get back to ever since).

I don't overly want to fork out for a M2 to test laptop for the fear it wont fix it.

Thanks

• JackE

I think the laptop threw a few BSODs when that original 250 M2 > I don't overly want to fork out for a M2 to test laptop for the fear it wont fix it.>

1TB m.2's are incredibly cheap now if you haven't checked lately. Less than $50. If you actually experienced the same thing with the original m.2 boot drive, then it more likely is a hardware issue involving either the mainboard storage buss or bad RAM sodimm, You could try re-seating the sodimms a few times to help clean the contacts. If no luck, try removing one sodimm at a time and swapping the RAM sockets. Don't forget to disconnect the battery pack before messing around inside.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

There is only stick of 8GB ram Ive cleaned the pins and tried both slots to be sure, same results irrespective of what I do. No battery as it started to die so its been removed anyways.

The only thing I haven't done is try an M2 which I would, if i had one. The only thing I can do, although I understand most likely has nothing to do with the BSODS is update the bios,there have been 10 or 11 updates from the one on my laptop, that's the last thing that will cost me nothing, before having to spend money on something that may or may not work.

But I cant figure out why the crisis bios update wont work.

Thanks again 😉

• JackE

No battery as it started to die so its been removed anyways. > >But I cant figure out why the crisis bios update wont work.> >

This and a few other low level i/o procedures usually can't be reliably done on a laptop without a fully-charged functional battery pack.

And firmware updates outside the Windows environment via the FN+ESC method are very risky and usually fail because they have an even higher probability of bricking the machine.

Sorry you might be beating your head against the wall as well as seriously risking a bricked machine trying avoid spending a few bucks. Good luck though. 😫

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Yeah I hear ya.. like I said my only fear is spending good money on a laptop that could have other underlying issues. to test it reliably Id have to buy a batter pack, nvme and I guess a stick of ram, but the problem I have is its a toss up between buying cheap parts that 'if' it doesn't work I'm kinda stuck with cheap parts, but if it does work I now have cheap parts that I wouldn't have put in the laptop😁. Ideally I'd like to get a 1tb fast nvme, a new battery and 2 x16gb sticks of decent ram they've been on the shopping list from the start and I'm looking a $150ish which is a waste if doesn't work. Other than those 3 things could it be anything else? anything I couldn't replace. I just don't get why it would throw different BSODs every time, I'll sit on it for a bit and probably buy the parts and cross my fingers. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it.

• JackE

> > my only fear is spending good money on a laptop that could have other underlying issues.> >

Yep. Spending money on best guesses will never be a 100%-guaranteed fix. Always a gamble. Are you feeling lucky yet?😆

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Do I feel Lucky? Not really, our heating furnace crapped out on us on new years eve so been dealing with that and ordering a new one. But… I just ordered 512gb of the Kingspec NX and we'll see what happens. If it doesn't work I can always give it to my youngest for his gaming pc and if it does work i can still give it to him and upgrade or just use it in the laptop as storage and get 2tb later. I'll post here if I get any results.. thanks again.

• JackE

Do I feel Lucky? Not really, our heating furnace crapped out on us on new years eve so been dealing with that and ordering a new one.

Ditched mine nearly 15 yrs ago. Mini-split heat pumps are where it's at. Even up here in the north country.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

In Minnesota here.. gonna be selling the house in a couple of years to move a little further north to build, we'll be putting in geo thermal, with solar and hopefully a small hydropower plant if we can find land with river running through it… thats the plan anyways…

• JackE

Yeah, you'd need geo that far north. Air mini-splits are OK down to about -25°C. So they're fine in north Jersey & Finger Lakes regions. Geo can cost 4-5 times more if easily-tapped water sources aren't available.

Jack E/NJ

• Hello! What happens when you change sata mode to rst with optane?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Commodore_1995%23

iRST optane is what it started out with. Same problem.

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Ok, so got the new M2 and loaded it into the laptop booted into bios and reset everything back to default and started from there. after hitting F12 and choosing the USB HDD install media I get a BSOD with various codes. I've tried changing the M2 to the 2nd slot but same problem. Any ideas? Oh, I plugged the old battery back in too.

Thanks.

• JackE

> >I have exhausted every other path including removing and replacing the ram > >

> >There is only stick of 8GB ram Ive cleaned the pins and tried both slots to be sure, same results irrespective of what I do.> >

> >Id have to buy a batter pack, nvme and I guess a stick of ram, > >

I assume you never actually 'replaced' the 8GB sodimm with a new sodimm. So can you access the BIOS if you remove the sodimm or do you get a BIOS beep error?

Jack E/NJ

• ColinPAndrews

Hi JackE. No I haven't replaced any static component parts yet, Just purchased the M2 to start there. I did try the ram in both slots and same results. also tried booting as you said without the Ram and I just get a black screen, No Bios. I guess I'll have to get the ram. I'm gonna grab the cheapest and then if all works out I'll bin it and get a pair of matched16gb to give me 32. would this vvv Ram work for testing purposes? Thanks again for your help.