Ref PO3-640-UR11 – what is the MOBO’s “6-pin ATX power connector” pinout?

LJC_202212
LJC_202212 Member Posts: 26

Tinkerer

Is the pinout verified at 12 VDC on pins 1, 2, and 3 with 4, 5, and 6 grounded?  

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

The PO3-640 motherboard is an ATX12VO design, the pinouts for those connectors are:

Pins #1-6 on your diagram are: PS_On, Gnd, Gnd, Gnd, NC, and PS_Ok. Pins 1-3 and 6-8 are closer, except Acer uses one of the GND pins at #2 or #3 as the return for the power switch, saving them the cost of one pin...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer

The ATX12VO PSU pins are as follows. Google search the keywords ATX12V0 & pinout for more diagrams and info. 2, 3 & 4 are common ground.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

That connector isn't correct for any of the Acer models. It looks like the HP setup instead...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    edited December 2022

The 1-6 pin assignments are correct. That's what was asked. It is not the HP connector. The HP PSUs mentioned in the other thread are for the new Intel ATX12VO-based mainboards

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Answer ✓

The PO3-640 motherboard is an ATX12VO design, the pinouts for those connectors are:

Pins #1-6 on your diagram are: PS_On, Gnd, Gnd, Gnd, NC, and PS_Ok. Pins 1-3 and 6-8 are closer, except Acer uses one of the GND pins at #2 or #3 as the return for the power switch, saving them the cost of one pin...

• TJ_25
    TJ_25 Member Posts: 3 New User

This diagram was helpful and I would like some additional help. For the ATX 6-pin Power Connector in the diagram, both pins 5 & 6 are labeled as +12V. Can anyone confirm that +12VSB is not used on the Acer PO3-640 motherboard?

A standard 10-pin ATX12VO has the following 12V pins:

Pin 7 +12VSB (purple)
    Pin 8 +12V1 DC (yellow)
    Pin 9 +12V1 DC (yellow)

I am creating my own adapter and would like to know which of the above two pins I should map to. Please clarify. Thanks.

• JackE

This is all the information we have access to. The ATX12VO PSU pins are shown below. Google search the keywords ATX12V0 & pinout for more diagrams and info. 2, 3 & 4 are common ground. Detailed mainboard schematic conductor traces to the pinouts are not available.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey

That diagram is for a different manufacturer, not Acer. Acer does not use a standby 12V on their connectors, as shown in my diagrams from the service guide.

• TJ_25

billsey, thanks for your response. On your PO3-640 diagram for the ATX 6-pin connector, Pin 4 is GND. On my stock PSU, the connector is missing Pin 4.

Is it required to send a ground wire to Pin 4?

I noticed that some third-party adapters (24 to 6pin) have PSON wired directly to GND. Is this required or is this already done by the motherboard?

• billsey

It is not required to connect the ground on pin 4. Go ahead and connect it up as Acer does.

• TJ_25

I finally got to upgrading my PSU . I connected it per the pinouts in the service guide above. The PSU (FSP Hydro PTM X PRO 1000W) would not turn on at all, even after I tried multiple pin configurations. The only way for me to get the PSU and PC to turn on was to connect PS_ON to ground. In this case, the PSU and PC boot to Windows with some disadvantages:

• The PC will not go to sleep - Fans, LEDs, PSU, etc. remain on; only Windows OS goes to sleep.
    • The PSU remains on after a complete shut down (fast boot disabled).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the PSU/PC won't turn on unless I ground PS_ON?

• billsey

Likely the PSU isn't compatible with ATX12VO. I'm not sure what they do differently with the PS_On signals in the 12VO world. The PS_On should just be a momentary connection while the power button is actually pressed, but some designs provide a status signal on the return ground IIRC.