Aspire XC-1760 Why does my desktop PC shut down by itself?

StephenFleck
StephenFleck Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hi,

Lately, my PC has started to shut down of its own accord after a few hours of inactivity.

It's a 1 year old Aspire XC-1760.

I can't tell from the Even log what's causing it.

Can anyone help? Thanks

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

You say that it's inactive so maybe you have sleep mode turned on ??

• StephenFleck

Thanks.

Yes I had set it up to go to Sleep after a few hours, but it shuts down much later and the powe light goes out. Totally dead. Doesn't respond to moving the mouse, clicking the keyboard etc.

In order to 'wake it up' I have to press the power button and then it goes through a full startup.

I've set Sleep to 'Never' so I'll see if it shuts down again tonight. It usually happens in the middle of the night. I can check the Event log to see when it happens.

• StephenFleck

The PC shut down again last night, at 03:46.

I had to do a restart at 08:10.

Here's the event log, in case it makes sense to anyone!

And these are my Sleep settings (Windows 11) :

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,815 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023

Open Reliability History-Problem Reports and paste the last report near the time of crash to Notepad, this will indicate the Kernel status at system shut down, possibly a power issue. The events you show are Warnings that indicate routine acitivity not Errors. Open Device Manager and look for rogue drivers with yellow exclamation marks and Unknown Devices, uninstall those devices/drivers. Run these 2 commands to check the system files, make sure internet is working and open the Command Prompt as administrator, paste this in the Command Prompt window: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and press Enter, then paste this in the Command window: SFC /scannow that should end with: "….did not find any integrity violations". Repeat the commands till you get "Successfully completed" and "no integrity violations".

• StephenFleck

Hi Puraw,

Thanks for the suggestions.

In Reliability History, there was nothing listed around the time of the last Kernal-power event in the Event log (03:46 on 13 Dec). I'm guessing this was the time of the shut down.

In Device Manager there are no yellow exlamation marks suggesting rogue drivers

When I did the first SFC/scannow, it did find something:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
    For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
    windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
    repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag."

I repeated the commands as suggested and then got the "did not find any integrity violations."

So let's see if it stays awake tonight!