aspire TC 1760 UK upgrade from 180 -300w psu anyways is it possible to buy 300w version from acer

themero
themero Member Posts: 49 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited September 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

evening all .. i bought an aspire TC 1760 ( i5-12400) last week and after reading a few reviews i was sure it had a 300w psu of course imagine my shock when i found out it was only 180w ( bang goes the gtx 1650 then ).

anyways is it possible to buy the 300w version from acer as i cant find any on amazon or ebay ( not in the uk anyway )

I'm savvy enough to know about using a third party psu and modding a cable for 12v but i'd prefer to get an original psu and keep everyhing nice and tidy in the tower .

hopefully one of you kind people can help me out ..

thanks .. themero .

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Any of the Acer 12VO power supplies use the same six pin cable for the main connection to the motherboard. Most, but not all, also have additional cables with 4 or 8 pins that provide additional 12V to the motherboard, and some have and additional cable to provide extra 12V power directly to GPUs. You are more limited for the Flex supplies, just because of the smaller form factor. I can't give you more info on the two part numbers you listed because I have no cross reference to see what models they are used in.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • themero
    Answer ✓

Finally found one , and a bargain too..

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,445 Trailblazer
    edited September 2023

Below is the list of all the TC-1760 300W PSU models and their Acer part numbers, go to ZANDPARTS as they have an oem 300W PSU for your TC-1760, see here: Acer POWER SUPPLY.300W.ACTIVE.PFC.FSP300-10TAA it retails for 63.45 EUR (£54.51) excl. VAT) or look on eBay or Amazon, as they could be cheaper. remember that ZADPARTS are main European sellers of all Acer oem parts.

Just and a bit off the subject, its very strange that your TC-1760 desktop retails with a 180W PSU, as its not listed in this desktop latest 2022 service guide, this must be a way that Acer saves costs and retails this desktop also, its not right that they should do that, if the retail shop advertised a 300W PSU, I would check up with the retailer on this issue, as it should not be happening.

Also, and remember, that these PSUs are all Acer proprietary type PSUs as the main board design is also an Acer proprietary design that has an unusual shape and comes with an ATX_12V - 8-pin main power connector and an ATX_12V - 4 pin power connector and the PSU will have an 8-pin and a 4-pin power/plug cords, see mainboard diagrams below from the latest TC-1760 SG. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire TC-1760 mainboard.

• themero

Thanks Steven 😁

Yeah I thought I'd gone and bought an optiplex again lol.

Unless it's a European thing , I'll post some photos of the PSU and board when I've woken up properly.

As you can see from the official spec sheet it 180w . Is it the American version that comes as standard with 300w ?

• themero

And why when I try and post does it keep telling me it's X amount of characters short ?

• billsey

The 'characters short' message is because it doesn't count an image as characters, and there is a requirement for at least nine characters typed in to help keep bots out. When we look at the picture of your TC-1760 using that link, the PSU itself seems to be one of the smaller Flex supplies, not the ATX form factor as shown in Steven's image. That means we can be assured Acer did a mid-product rev that changed the case and PSU to fit the smaller supply. The 300W Flex versions of these power supplies are listed in the XC-1760 SG though:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • themero
    edited September 2023

Yep I've been looking hard and can't find a thing in the UK on eBay , thanks again

• themero
    edited September 2023

ok i've come back to ask the experts there opinion once again I've found 2 300w models ( DC.3001B.00B ) + (DC.3001H.004 ) both look like they have the same connectors 12v 6 pin etc. i know they are larger than the 180w that's already in mine , but it will fit ( already measured up ) if i make the mounting hole a bit bigger ( gets the dremmel ready lol ). what do you think ?

also would the i5 12400 + gtx 1650 (75w version ) be within the 300w limit ?

• billsey
    edited September 2023

Likely the 1650 will be fine with 300W. Neither of those PSUs match the part numbers we gave, so I can't comment on how well they will fit.

• themero

I didn't ask how they fit , I asked are the 6 pins compatible!

Obviously that info isn't in the sacred service manuals .

• themero

I've contacted Acer support in the UK inquiring about a 300w PSU . They said nothing is showing for that model and they'll have to contact head office .. what an absolute joke of a company!

• themero

well it just gets better .. finally got back to me and said yes we can get your item it will cost £8.99. i said what did you search for .. he said a power cable ! Nooooo i asked about a 300w power supply , oh sorry i'll check again , so waited a while longer for a call back . get the call .. yes we have the power supply , is it 300w .. no 180 ! 3rd time ill ask DO YOU HAVE A 300W PSU .. let me check again . some time later another call . . yes we have a 300w psu .. but there's none in stock !!!

I give up with the official spares dept .. i'm modding a cable and gonna run from an ATX , that or get rid of the piece of junk !

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Any of the Acer 12VO power supplies use the same six pin cable for the main connection to the motherboard. Most, but not all, also have additional cables with 4 or 8 pins that provide additional 12V to the motherboard, and some have and additional cable to provide extra 12V power directly to GPUs. You are more limited for the Flex supplies, just because of the smaller form factor. I can't give you more info on the two part numbers you listed because I have no cross reference to see what models they are used in.

• themero

I understand billsey don't worry I'm not mad at you , just mad at the runaround they give you to try and get things sorted .

Anyway I've noticed something interesting as far as the PSU goes . The i5 12400 has a max tdp of 117w , Acer have locked it down to 86w on this particular model and it will hit around 86w max power draw with the standard 180w PSU. But running from a 550w ATX PSU with a 6 pin adaptor the max power draw drops to around 65w. I'm assuming it has to do with the 12v supply not being stable enough ( although the ATX supply has more than enough amps on the 12v rail) , therefore the mb reduces performance in order to keep things stable

• themero
    Answer ✓

Finally found one , and a bargain too..

• themero

Yea very well , I've got a gtx 1650 running on it and no problems

• PedMCunha
    PedMCunha Member Posts: 2 New User

I've been trying to find a similar PSU for days and I can't.

• themero

They are very hard to find . I got lucky and found one on eBay in the UK . I did see a few on eBay USA but you'll pay around $80 , and some are charging well over $100. Keep searching and you might get lucky 😁