TC391 desktop SSD Question How do I go about transferring the data from the 512GB SSD

thebreeze
thebreeze Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

I have a 512 GB SSD (C drive:) installed on my TC391 desktop computer. I purchased a 1 TB Samsung 980 pro I would like to install in its place. How do I go about transferring the data from the 512GB SSD including the windows 10 home edition operating system to the 1 TB SSD? I do have a 1 TB external drive I can transfer the D: drive data onto. I see that there are a few ways it can be done but which is the simplest and/or most efficient way to do it? Thank you for your time.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Best Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,426 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

You can use Macrium reflect Free Home Trial version, install it in the current 512GB drive, if you have a spare external HDD connect it and clone it to the external HDD, remove the 512GB drive and replace it with your new drive, install the HDD to the HDD bay and boot with it, clone the HDD to the new drive, remove the HDD and boot with your new drive, you can clone everything including OS and data, no need to transfer data separately, I hope it's clearer.

It may look too complicated but once you watch youtube videos, you will find it very easy task.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

https://pureinfotech.com/clone-windows-10-hard-drive-ssd-macrium-reflect/

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

You need to really have both the old drive and the new one connected at the same time. Likely both are M.2 NVMe drives, and you only have the one M.2 SSD slot (#14 on this diagram):

So, in order to do this you will need an external case to allow a second drive to be connected. They are easy to fine and fairly cheap, just make sure it's for an M.2 NVMe drive and has a reasonable fast USB interface so the cloning process doesn't take forever. Clone the old drive to the new one, put the new drive in place of the old one. Boot up and verify that everything is working and that your C: partition has been resized to fit the new drive. Finally you can put the old drive in the external case, connect it to your system and use Disk Management to remove all partitions then create one data partition on it. At that point you can use it for offline storage or backups.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers