AN517-41 battery stops at 79%, turn off when unplugged and doesn't turn on until when plugged.

Options
BekkaliYaacoub
BekkaliYaacoub Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2023 in Nitro Gaming

hello, it's been almost a week ago when i activated the option to limit my battery percentage at 80% on my Nitro AN517-41 by using the acer care center.

Three days ago, i was using it when plugged and suddenly it turned off completely, i fixed the issue by using another charger in it and it turned on, and the problem was that the battery was blocked.

now my pc is working but my problem is that even after disactivating the option of the limit on my battery it is still blocked at 79% and doesn't reach above it at all, also when i unplug the charger my pc turns off immediately. and when i try to turn it on when unplugged it doesn't turn on until i plug my charger in it. i tried so many solutions but none of them works.

knowing that my battery health is good, and my charger is working properly.

here is a document that shows the battery report.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• BekkaliYaacoub
    Options

here is the document

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

If you google this forum, you will find many posts with similar threads and responses from experienced members that advise not to use battery limiters bloatware. Limiting charging to 80% to extend the lifespan of a Li-Ion battery is a myth. Acer no longer has this limiting option in ACC. Leave your power adapter plugged in 24/7 without any effect on battery wear. If you never charged your battery to 100% you have to do a complete charge cycle for BIOS and MS ACPI battery control protocol. If your 100% battery capacity has not been registered properly all battery data will be inaccurate in Windows that can results in power issues. Uninstall Acer Care Center and any other battery monitoring/limiting bloatware you may have installed. Disable Fast Startup and Hibernate in Power Plan and completely shut down, disconnect all USB devices and monitors and plug in the adapter, let the laptop charge till the amber charge LED turns blue, wait a few minutes to reach 100% charged. Open the laptop and unplug the power adapter, work with your laptop all day till it turns of on its own (Windows Power Plan will shut down the system automatically when the battery has been discharged to 2-3%). Plug the adapter in again but don't use the laptop till the amber charge light has turned blue again + a few minutes extra. You have to repeat this procedure whenever you replace the battery and IMO each time after you Clean installed windows, restore the system or reset BIOS.

• BekkaliYaacoub
    Options

hello, thanks you for giving of your time to answer my questions.

the issue here is that, firstly my battery can't reach the 100% because it is blocked at 79% even when disactivating the 80% option and uninstalling the acer care central. and secondly once i unplug my cable the pc goes off and doesn't turn on until i plug the cable (charger) again. so, the blue LED will never show because it stays only orange - limited at 79% -

and my battery already reached the 100% before activating that option so many times, the diagnostic file was after when i reset my pc and after facing that problem.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 10,395 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

OK, you have to reset the battery with the pinhole at the back if you have that, if not open the laptop to reset CMOS, I believe your model is early 2021 so the Acer warranty probably expired? If you don't want to open the laptop reset BIOS with F9 in BIOS and save settings on exit. Boot to Windows and uninstall the 2 battery drivers (see picture):

Reboot and see if you can charge to 100% now.

If you want to open the laptop to do a thorough reset and check the SODIMM modules do this: Disconnect the battery cable from the motherboard. Locate the CMOS module (with 2 twisted wires Red and Black, under the battery) and remove the coin battery. Shorten the +/- contacts inside the CMOS capsule for 2 seconds with a bended paperclip and put the coin battery back with the + sign facing up, close the CMOS capsule. Unseat and reseat the DDR4 modules firmly in the slots. Next, press the Power Button on the keyboard for 10-15 seconds after that reconnect the battery cable to the motherboard. Close the laptop, plug-in the adapter and try to boot. Try to do the full charge cycle as I posted above, the battery report is a disaster, and indicates the 80% limiting that was going on, this may still be active even after uninstalling Acer Care Center. Check Services and disable any ACC agent or Acer Care Center service you see, then open Task Scheduler and check in Library if any Acer Care Center task is still active, delete those tasks. If the battery charging is still blocked at 79% after you have done all the above you need to restore the registry to before you used Acer Care Center, type restore and click on "Create a restore point", click on "System Restore" at the top and choose a date.

• BekkaliYaacoub
    Options

i just bought my pc 4 months ago, so the warranty is not expired yet. that means i can't open it up.

i tried to do the steps that you included without opening the pc but still doesn't work unfortunately.