Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 how do you limit the Battery

caesarrftp
caesarrftp Member Posts: 3 New User
edited December 2023 in Predator Laptops
Is it good to play games on the Acer Predator Helios Neo 16 laptop while it is charging?, and how do you limit the battery??, because i bought it yesterday and i charge it to 87% and it get to 30 in 2 hours, is it normal?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and add issue detail]

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,091 Pathfinder

@caesarrftp

You will have to keep the charger plugged in while gaming since it requires a large amount of power for heavy loads.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,838 Trailblazer

2 Hours battery life while playing games online with 100% brightness possibly with a large 3K external monitor running is very good. Do not limit the charging of your battery, this charging limit nonsense to extend the life of a battery is a hoax. Google the topic and you will find out. Disable the 80% charge limit feature in Acer Care Center and uninstall all bloatware you have on your laptop. Leave your adapter plugged in 24/7 without affecting battery wear, when the battery is 99.9% charged the Smart logic in LI-Ion batteries will divert the power to the motherboard. When you limit battery charging BIOS and Windows will not register complete charge cycles resulting in wrong statistics (Battery Meter) and possibly even power issues with MS ACPI battery protocol.

• caesarrftp
    caesarrftp Member Posts: 3 New User
  • Puraw
    edited December 2023

Read my reply above, keeping the power adapter plugged in 24/7 will not ruin your battery, it has no detrimental effect whatsoever on battery wear.

• Hi @caesarrftp yes, it can negatively affect the battery chemistry.

You can keep the charger connected all the time, no problems, but you must use the battery once without the charger for periods of 20/30 days to prevent the battery chemistry from losing its capabilities.

In summary, always have the charger connected but every 20/30 days, remove the charger and use the equipment only on battery power. When the battery reaches 15/20%, reconnect the charger for another 20/30 days.

Never let the battery discharge to 100%, this may damage it.

All the best.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Puraw

Hi @Alejandro_AC
    Could you perhaps post a scientific source for "Yes, it can negatively affect the battery chemistry"? IMO, that is a myth I agree that you have to do once a complete charge cycle for BIOS and MS ACPI battery control protocol to register the capacity of a new battery, possibly again after a clean Windows install or BIOS update. Unless you crashed or tweaked power values in Windows' Registry, completely depleting a battery to zero is prevented by Windows power management that will turn off the power of a system when it reaches 2-3% charge without a power adapter plugged in. Studies also noted that modern laptops have smart charging features that prevent overcharging and bypass the battery when it is full. Therefore, you don’t need to worry about damaging your battery by overcharging it.
    Thanks.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,450 Trailblazer

Yes, you can have the battery plugged into the mains power, but unplug it every months and let the battery discharge fully and then recharge it, which is a good practice. The 80% is a gimmick and has no bearing on the longevity of the battery life.

• @Puraw the article comments the following:

Logically, this fact is based on the chemical precepts of the battery.

Greetings.

• Haga clic en "Me gusta" si mi respuesta fue útil o márquela como solución si se resolvió, ¡gracias!
    • Colaborador pro bono, no trabajo ni hablo en nombre de Acer
    • Please click "Like" if my answer was helpful or mark it as solution if it was solved, thanks!
    • Pro bono contributor, I do not work or speak on behalf of Acer
    • MVP de MSFT (2003-21) & Windows Insider & (alezmvp)
  • Puraw

Thanks. BU is just another website, not a scientific source nor an accredited academic institution. Mr. Isidor Buchmann (CEO Cadex Electronics) writings on Li-Ion battery longevity have been discredited or debunked. If you want to believe in myths that's OK 😁

• Sgt_Bobby_Shaftoe
    Sgt_Bobby_Shaftoe Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you both. I registered to thank you (be honored). The 80% battery charging on modern lithium-ion batteries always seemed like BS. And cycling a battery every month just makes sense as well. Appreciate your efforts and research.

-Bobby Shaftoe (yep, might be a bit of a Neal Stephenson fan - my PSA: as a male in the last half of your life Cryptonomicon will tell you why things happened in your life, as a man in the first half it will tell you why somethings will be, and it's ***** entertaining, enjoy)