KB5032190 and KB5007651 updates are not getting installed error code 0x80248014.

Trev7186
Trev7186 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in Windows 11

Hi, I've been trying to install these updates over the last week but I keep getting the error code 0x80248014. I've run the trouble shooter which said it had fixed one problem but left "check for windows update issues" which is strange as I thought that was what I was checking for. I've also checked the web for fixes and found one which had several fixes which I tried but I still get the same error code. Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,847 Trailblazer
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓

Run the Update Trouble shooter, then click on Check for updates again: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-error-0x80248014/b31e06b3-7adc-42d4-96e5-67a3a43f44f2

If that does not help, refresh the system image: make sure internet is working and open the Command Prompt as administrator, paste this line: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth that should complete OK then run this command: SFC /scannow that should complete with "…..found no integrity violations." repeat SFC till you see that, also consider the Reset this PC with "Keep my files" option.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,778 Trailblazer

Try disabling, or better yet completely uninstalling, any 3rd-party non- Mic ro soft scanners that might be installed or running in the background. Windows security features and updates are all that most users need.

Jack E/NJ

• Trev7186

HI, thank you for the replies unfortunately I've tried all the fixes you have suggested they where on the website I found. I'm completely stumped on this one. What I can't understand is why the update troubleshooter found and highlighted "check for windows update issues" but didn't fix the problem? I have found that I'm not the only person with this problem, from the various windows forums I've been on. I'll just have to keep trying and hope what ever the issue is will be fixed in a future update. This is a brand new Laptop and I was running the update as I do straight away whenever I get a new Laptop, all the others of which there where quite a few installed without any issues just these two that are causing a problem. Thanks once again for your help, if I do find a fix I will post it here for anyone else with the issue'

Trev

• JackE

I'll just have to keep trying and hope what ever the issue is will be fixed in a future update.

Yes. This has become a quite common, tried & true method for Win10 & Win11. Sometime, when you least expect it, the update app will suddenly announce 'You're up to date' —— your hope fulfilled —— at least for a day. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• alx181
    alx181 Member Posts: 34 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

According to the Microsoft Support website, error code 0x80248014 can occur when there is a problem with the Windows Update service or when the Windows Update cache folder is corrupted. Here are some solutions you can try to resolve the issue:

1.Run the Windows Update troubleshooter. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Select Start > Settings > System > Troubleshoot > Other troubleshooters.
    2. Under Most frequent, select Windows Update > Run.
    3. When the troubleshooter is finished running, it’s a good idea to restart your device.

2. Reset the Windows Update components. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Open the Command Prompt as an administrator.
    2. net stop wuauservnet stop cryptSvcnet stop bitsnet stop msiserverren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.oldren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.oldnet start wuauservnet start cryptSvcnet start bitsnet start msiserver
      net stop wuauserv
      net stop cryptSvc
      net stop bits
      net stop msiserver
      ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
      ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
      net start wuauserv
      net start cryptSvc
      net start bits
      net start msiserver
    3. Close the Command Prompt and restart your device.

3. Perform a system restore. You can do this by following these steps:

1. Type rstrui in the search bar and select a date on which your computer was working fine.
    2. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the system restore process.

4. If none of the above solutions work, you can try downloading and installing the updates manually from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. Here are the steps to follow:

1. Go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
    2. Search for the update you want to install.
    3. Download the update and install it manually on your computer.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,847 Trailblazer

These KB numbers are mixed, are you sure they are correct? KB5007651 was a W10 22H2 security update of October 2022, while KB5032190 was last November 14 security update for Windows11 23H2. Did you recently (in the last 2 weeks) upgrade to Windows11 23H2? If you have been running Windows11 all the time you have a system problem and need to clean install either Windows10 or 11, I don't know what PC you have, what year or what OS.

• Trev7186

Hi, just got my laptop back from Acer as the motherboard failed. First thing I did was check everything was upto date, downloaded the two windows updates KB5033920 and KB5034123 and updating Windows store apps. The two I was having trouble with had disappeared when it came back, looking at the update history they haven't been installed so I don't know what's going on there. Getting back to the new updates I'm still having trouble they won't install AGAIN! Once again I've tried everything plus a couple of new things one of which was turning off loads of thing via CMD and set as administrator and then reinstalling everything this method took me about 30 minutes it was that involved but they still won't install. I'm getting really fed up with this, on Win 10 I had no problem at all. I wouldn't be to worried but some of these are security updates which of course are needed. I'm thinking that's why the store apps won't update. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me fix this it's really stressing me out.

Trev

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Try not to get too stressed out. You might've been lucky with Win10. Win11 is still a work in progress. If you're stressed now, just wait till Win12 comes out allegedly due later this year.

As suggested earlier, when you least expect it, the troublesome updates or apps will suddenly announce 'You're up to date' —— your hope fulfilled —— at least for a day or so.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer

Those updates have been replaced by newer ones, so it's not an issue…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Trev7186

Thanks for all your replies, as quoted I've tried every method I can find on the net (hours of work) but none of them fix the problem. It seems ridiculous to me that these updates are put out without them being checked which seems to be the problem. I know I'm not the only one with these problems, maybe Micrtosoft is going into the real hair wig manufacturing business as I know I've pulled out my fair share. Can anyone send me the link where I should send these clumps of hair? Having just purchased this Laptop I really thought it would be an improvement on my old one but I seem to be spending all my time chasing down problems and not enjoying it. I'm seriously thinking of going to Apple Mac (cough, spit). But seriously computing shouldn't be this stressful in 2024. Lets hope Microsoft get there act together one day or am I being stupid in believing that?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,432 Trailblazer

In looking back through the thread, I don't see anywhere where you tell us what computer you have or what OS is installed on it. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. As Puraw stated, those updates are for different versions of the OS, so it's hard to image why Microsoft would be trying to install both of them when you use Windows update.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE

https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Trev7186 > >Can anyone send me the link where I should send these clumps of hair?> > >

IMO, Win7 was the last halfway decent Windows version. Yes, Win7 sometimes made my hair fall out. But not nearly as much as Win8 and rapidfire major updates (corrections) to Win10 and now Win11 and probably Win12. Updates don't seem to be as well-tested as the long term open source options. They're more like βetas —- with most users as unpaid test subjects who are almost forced into a M ic rosoft account to better try to sell them more stuff.

So my two workhorse machines that I rely on for my own personal stuff run Mint Cinnamon since a year or so before Win7 was mothballed. Mint's set up to have virtually the same look, feel, function — and most important —- stability of Win7 including compatibility just about all of the latest Windows productivity apps. Mint gives the user much better control over installing much better-tested updates and much less agita & hair loss when doing so.

Jack E/NJ